2012 KCBS Board of Directors Election
Candidate: Forrest Bruce
1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.The skills I possess which I believe make me stronger candidates are Commitment and Determination. In many endeavors, I have been met with the challenge and followed it through to the intended and expected outcome. If elected, I plan to work closely with my fellow board members in seeking as many avenues as possible to bring the mission of the Association to it's maximum capability. For myself personally, I achieved my Master Judge status in less than one year, and now have judged over 65 events. This is an excellent example of my commitment and the determination to achieve the end result swiftly. Additionally, when I do commit myself to a cause, I do not spread myself thin. If elected, my work with the board will be a priority.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.As a Master Judge and a Certified Table Captain with over 60 plus events I would like to see all new KCBS Judges cook with a team before they complete their 15th event. I have seen it over and over again that a Judge who has cooked with a team knows how to be a better, smarter Judge. I know this better than anyone. After spending a weekend with a great team and competing, my outlook on scoring is not the same as it was before I cooked. I truly believe that the sooner a Judge cooks, the better the over all scoring will improve. I would also like to see some type of continuing education for all Master Judges to keep up with the new techniques in the industry.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.My short-term goal is to get involved from the very start. Be hands on, all for one and one for all. Act instead of reacting. To maintain a strong association, which is responsive to the member's, needs. I want to make a difference for all the Judges, Cooks, and Event planers.
My long-term goal would be to see that as the KCBS grows in numbers, events grow along with them. I think that a strategic goal should be put in place to meet or exceed future growth of the KCBS.
4. If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.My level of commitment would be "above and beyond". Being a Business Owner for over 30 years, I have the flexibility to give the needed time for the KCBS. I have been on various Boards and Organizations over the years. I think it is important for people to know that if you make a commitment than it's just as important to follow it threw until its complete.
5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.As a KCBS member I have greatly enjoyed helping out and being apart of events. I make my self-available during events to do what ever it takes to get things done. I also have had the pleasure to help the instructors at the KCBS Judging classes.
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.I believe that being apart of the KCBS will help me improve, as a Master Judge and some day become a Rep, while I try to bring my knowledge and experience to help improve this great organization. With my flexibility to travel I can always find a way to promote KCBS. I wake up every day thinking about how I can be an ambassador to this great organization.