2012 KCBS Board of Directors Election
Candidate: Larry Hadley
1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.As a small business owner for 30 years, I've had the opportunity to gain invaluable experience in working with both individuals and groups. This has enabled me to bring confidence, negotiation, and listening skills to the table. With my solid KCBS experience as a Contest Rep, Master Judge, and CBJ Class Assistant, I will bring commitment, fairness in decision making, and represent all members of KCBS as your Board member.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.For the last 7 years I have been involved with all aspects of contests and I see the continuing education of Judges as a positive. The completion of the CBJ class, should not be the total education for this important position. Just as ongoing instruction and mentoring is used for Rep training, this could also be implemented for new CBJ's. A buddy system could be set up for the first few contests with a seasoned Judge as mentor.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.Short term goal: A dedicated effort to bridge the gap between KCBS members, the BOD, the Cooks, and Judges. 1. I believe that the Bullsheet is one tool that can be used quickly and effectively. I suggest that a Q & A column for members appear in each issue, with answers provided by Board members. Every KCBS member should be encouraged to both READ and CONTRIBUTE to this newsletter. 2. Members should know that they can make arrangements to attend a Board meeting by calling the KCBS office.
Long-term goal: KCBS is growing rapidly every year. This growth calls for a collaborative team effort with expanding roles. Every committee on the Board should be working and planning for the forward movement of KCBS. If a committee frequently has "no report" at a BOD meeting, consideration should be given to possibly combining a committee so that all members of the Board will be in the position to contribute, thereby pooling resources.
4. If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.My commitment, time, and energy will be focused exclusively toward ensuring that KCBS continues to be the finest organization in this field. I am a dedicated and proud member of KCBS. I promote KCBS whenever the opportunity is there, even on vacation. I have a flexible schedule and attending Board meetings, addressing member concerns, and committee functions will be a priority. I am acquainted with many judges and cooks, and will always be available to answer questions and concerns. Members are the backbone of KCBS, and I will always stand by that fact.
5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.I have been a KCBS member for 7 years, beginning as Judge and then became a Master Judge in 11 months. As a Contest Rep I have been privileged to work with many organizers and teams across the US. Over the last several years. I have also cooked with an award winning team, and assist at CBJ classes by managing the "behind the scenes" process.
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.As a Board member, I will be conscientious of who I represent - the members of KCBS. I will endeavor to use my experience and skills to work with the Board in addressing your questions and concerns, and that you receive a response. I believe in practicing the "let's do it right" way, for all Board discussions and decisions. As KCBS members, each one of us is part of the best organization in the world for Competition BBQ. It is a real pleasure for me to work with and promote KCBS as the gold standard.