BOD MEETING QUICK NOTES - May 11, 2011May 13, 2011
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
Board of Director's Meeting - May 11, 2011
Meeting was called to order @ 7:03 central time by Vice President Don Harwell. The following members were present in person or on the phone: Don Harwell, Candy Weaver, Mike Lake, Mike Budai, Randy Bigler, Arlie Bragg, Merl Whitebook, Mark Simmons, Tana Shupe, Wayne Lohman and Paul Kirk. Gene Goycochea was absent. A quorum was present.
The following members dialed in: Cherl Ramsden, Dale Newstrom, Vicky Peyton, Chad Hodges, Pete & Chris Early and Roy Murray.
Three following members had requested to speak to the Board: Cheryl Ramsden, Chad Hodges, Roy Murray. Chad spoke re: BBQ Capital Cook-off - Lexington, NC last weekend in April 2012.
Roy spoke regarding Edenton, NC contest which is also 4th weekend in April.
The board recited the KCBS Mission Statement and Board Pledge.
Tana Shupe asked the board to accept the Minutes of the April 2011 meeting as presented. Seconded by Wayne Lohman, the Minutes were accepted.
Finance Committee: Mike Budai - The Finance Committee recommends adopting the financial statements. Mike made motion, seconded by Mark. Financial reports accepted.
Marketing: Tana Shupe -
MMA/KCBS Marketing Report
- Successfully completed the first three events
- Assisting Tour Team in product shipments, logistics and on-site media promotion
- Assisting the Tour Team in shipping and planning logistics
- Working with events to ensure successful PR and logistics integration
- Coordinating retail and BBQ teaching stops
Sam’s Club BBQ Series:
- Continued coordination of PR efforts for the Inaugural Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour
- Sending regional e-blasts to competitors
- Assisting Event Directors for each Sam’s Club event
- Ongoing recruitment of judges and volunteers to ensure event success
- Total April sales: $3,135
- Advertising sold for April: $2,146
- Uploaded May Bullsheet
- Uploaded MP3 of April’s BOD meeting
- Updated website with Kingsford Points Chase winners/information
- Updated forms section of website as requested by KCBS
- Created GABT Giveaway page to reflect 2011 promotion
- Designed and launched Rancher’s Reserve program micro-site
- Working on separate log-in accounts for TOY and News
- Social Media: Using MMA, KCBS, and GABT Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
- Wrote and disseminated GABT press releases in local markets; will continue throughout tour
- Wrote and disseminated Reser’s Fine Foods national press release
- Wrote and disseminated Rancher’s Reserve national and local press releases
- Wrote and disseminated Kingsford Points Chase press releases in local markets
- Updating Kingsford Points Chase blog after events
- Updating News section of KCBS website as needed
- Ongoing CBJ PR
- Working with events on Kingsford Points Chase implementation/follow-up
- Working with Reser’s on event implementation
- Working with Rancher’s Reserve and events on Rancher’s Reserve Beef Cup planning, first event on 5/6
- GABT Tour Team had tire blow-out en route to California; were safe and had tire quickly repaired for next stop
Based on experiences with the Sam's Club BBQ Series contests held so far, and In the interest of consistency and professionalism for both KCBS and Sam's Club, Tana Shupe proposed the board earmark $20,000 for a "slush" fund to cover unexpected expenses or promotional opportunities. Mike Lake made a motion to suspend board rules to vote on this proposal. Seconded by Mark Simmons, the motion passed unanimously.
Tana Shupe then moved that the board approve the proposal. Seconded by Mike Lake, the motion passed unanimously.
The Marketing Report was accepted as presented.
CBJ: Mike Lake - Requested that each board member send him two or three questions within the next 2 weeks as their contributions to a web-based continuing education program for judges.
Contest Reps: Mark Simmons - Reported that the Rep committee had met and were adding additional members to the committee to reflect several years experience and the geographical diversity of our organization.
Mark made a motion that the following statement be read at the cooks' meetings by reps. "Pork collar is not permitted as a competition meat for the Pork category. If you have any questions, the rep has a detailed description of the Board of Director's policy." Seconded by Wayne Lohman, the motion passed unanimously.
Mark made a motion that the Contest Rep Committee be allowed to actively search for additional contest reps with nominations being accepted from board members or existing reps. Seconded Randy Bigler, the motion passed unanimously.
Mark reported that, with the approval of the contests for this meeting, we should now be at or over 400 contests.
Sanctioning & Mentoring: Wayne Lohman - The Sanctioning Committee reports that we currently have 381 sanctioned contests for 2011. 2097 teams have competed to date in our sanctioned contests. In 2010, 1176 teams had competed from January through April, thus an increase of 921 teams participating or a 78% growth for the same period.
We have also experience a healthy growth in contests as we had 54 contests in 2010 at the end of the first quarter and in 2011 we have 59 contests or an increase of almost 10%.
Wayne reported a conflict with the Lake Havasu, AZ contest where there is a problem between a member of the Daybreakers Lion Club and the Club itself. Cheryl Ramsden addressed the board regarding this contest. The Sanctioning Committee recommends that both requests to organize this contest be denied until the parties work out the situation between themselves. The consensus of the board was to accept the committee's recommendation.
The Sanctioning Committee recommended approval of all listed contests in the May New/Change Request Report in addition to a recent request for the contest in Clarksville, TN, but with the exception of the BBQ Capital Cook-Off in Lexington, NC on April 27-28, 2012. Wayne will work with organizer of Lexington contest with the hope to effect a date change.
10/7-8 Riverside Blues & BBQ - Greenville, MA
8/20-21 Grafton BBQ Festival Cook-off - Grafton, WI
8/12-13 BBQ Without Borders - Post Falls, ID
9/3-4 Smokin on the Bay - Tracy's Landing, MD
9/16-17 Q the Lou - Litchfield, IL
9/16-17 Smoke on the Water Arkansas Barbecue Championship - Pine Bluff, AR
9/29-10/2 American Royal - Kansas City, MO
8/26-27 Beta Que Q'n for a Cause - Columbia, MO
NEW COMPETITIVE SERIES (RIBS):
6/11-12 Blues Jam Ribs Festival - Greeley, CO
6/17-18 TO 6/18-19 American Barbeque Championship - Liverpool, NY
7/15-15 to 10/15-16 10th Annual Bordertown Bash - Fort Smith, AR
EXISTING - 2012:
4/27-28 BBQ Capital Cook-off - Lexington, NC
NEW - 2012:
5/30-7/1 Smokin on the Pecos - Artesia, NM
7/13-14 The BBQ Skirmish - Gettysburg, PA
Rules: Randy Bigler - No Report
Technology: Don Harwell -
§ Created MP3 of the April meeting for posting on our web site.§ Members can now review their membership profiles online but cannot edit them. Steps are being worked on to permit members to edit some parts of their profiles.
This will help reduce calls into the office when members need to change their address, phone number, etc…
§ Contract has been reviewed by KCBS legal and is now being re-reviewed by Data Access.
Based on concerns from President Weaver, additional issues must be resolved before acceptance of the contract, and these concerns will be communicated and addressed. .
Membership: Gene Goycochea -
Membership is at an all time high, waiting for information on advertising at Sam’s during the upcoming Sam’s Club contests.
Although on the agenda, discussion about the annual meeting in San Diego could not be addressed until Gene could be present.
Philanthropy: Arlie Bragg - Discussion on grant requests were held in closed session, after which Arlie made a motion that we allot $1,000 to ten requests for grants-in-aid to students, and three grants to non-profit organizations. Seconded by Paul Kirk, the motion passed unanimously.
Arlie made a motion that we allot $5,000 to the three grant requests. Seconded by Randy., the motion passed unanimously.
OLD BUSINESS: Candy reported that the issue regarding "state championships" is rsolved with the American Royal event, and she will follow-up with the Great American Barbecue and Jack Daniel organizers.
Candy Weaver - Per ideas presented from members:
(1) Candy made motion that KCBS design a pin for teams that finish in first place in all four mandatory categories at any one contest. Seconded by Don Harwell, the motion passed unanimously.
(2) A KCBS member suggested that KCBS to design a pin for judges who judge at a table where a perfect score is given in a category. After discussion, no motion was made and the suggestion was not accepted.
(3) Disaster Relief Reaction: President Weaver will contact the American Red Cross to discuss the possibility of KCBS teams assisting with relief when appropriate.
Following is the Agenda for the closed session: President Weaver presided over the meeting from this time on.
O Discussion of a letter sent to Carolyn Wells. Previous vote was upheld.
O Contest rep issue from Mark Simmons. An advisory will be sent to contest reps to ensure consistency with the issue discussed.
O Grant-in-aid recommendations from Philanthropy. Relevant motions were made after closed session.
O Discussion regarding scope of computer program. Additional concerns will be addressed.
At approximately 10:30 p.m. Paul Kirk moved to come out of closed session. Seconded by Tana Shupe, the motion passed.
Paul Kirk made a motion to adjourn. Seconded by Arlie Bragg; the motion passed unanimously and the meeting adjourned at 10:55 p.m.