26th Annual American Royal Invitational Contest Qualification Criteria AnnouncedAugust 3, 2012
26th Annual American Royal Invitational Contest
A new system has been instituted for qualifying Invitational Teams in 2012-2013. Qualifying criteria must be submitted to the American Royal within 7 business days of the qualifying contest by the contest organizers and each Grand Champion team in order for the team to be invited to participate in the Invitational contest.
The forms and any accompanying information may be emailed (BBQ@AmericanRoyal.com), faxed (816-221-8189), or sent standard mail to: Invitational Contest – American Royal World Series of Barbecue® 1701 American Royal Court, Kansas City, MO 64102
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA SUMMARY FOR US TEAMS
Qualifying Period: August 1, 2012-July 31, 2013 - All exceptions must be approved in advance by the American Royal.
Only Grand Champions are invited. No pass downs will be accepted. Invitations will be extended to the qualified team name/head cook combination. Should the team name or head cook change after qualifying, the team MUST enter the American Royal Invitational under the qualifying combination. Should the same head cook have qualified with more than one team, he/she may enter the KC Masterpiece American Royal Invitational Contest only one time.
An invitation will be mailed from the American Royal to the qualifiers upon receipt of the enclosed forms and requested documentation. If an Invitational team would like to also compete in the Open Contest, it is MANDATORY for that team to complete the Open Application ahead of time so a space can be reserved.
Qualifying Contest Criteria:
- Contests MUST have at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.
- State proclamations will no longer be required. In lieu of a state proclamation, all contests MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests MUST be open to all contestants.
- A state with only one contest MUST have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered, and MUST be sanctioned by an American Royal approved sanctioning body. Qualifying contests must be open to all contestants.
- Contest categories submitted for judging MUST include beef, pork, and poultry to be considered a qualifier. To be considered a “competing team,” for the qualifying contest, teams MUST submit entries for ALL contest categories required to be the Grand Champion or overall winner of that event.
- The American Royal reserves the right to request contest results for authentication from contest organizer, to include judging results and total number of teams competing in the event.
Sanctioning Body Criteria:
- The sanctioning body must have a physical address.
- The sanctioning body must be a registered business within the state of its physical address, whether for-profit or otherwise, and must provide a state certificate of good standing.
- The sanctioning body must have printed rules, including disciplinary action for rules violations.
- The sanctioning body must be able to provide printed, complete, contest results, including tabulated judging details and number of teams competing.
- The sanctioning body must sanction a minimum of ten (10) BBQ competitions in the qualifying period.
- The sanctioning body must cooperate with the American Royal for the purpose of certifying contest winners for Invitational Contest qualification.
Automatic Entries Go To:
*Grand Champion of previous year’s American Royal Open Contest
*Grand Champions of previous five (5) year’s American Royal/KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest
*Grand Champion of previous year’s Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue
*Grand Champion of current year’s Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Contest *Grand Champion of current year’s Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo World Championship Bar-B-Que Contest