KCBS BOD COMMITTEE REPORTS - November 2012November 12, 2012
Following are the Committee Reports for November with the exception of the Sanctioning Report. Because of its length, it is posted separately.
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
COMMITTEE REPORTS - November 2012
FINANCIAL REPORT - Mark Simmons
Emailed to members of the board, it is recommended by the finance committee that they be approved as presented.
MARKETING REPORT - Jeff Stith & Mike McCloud
There will be a subcommittee recommendation on Smithfield and the KCBS Seal of Approval program by the time the board convenes this week and a board discussion of this committee recommendation. A vote on the recommendation is requested
- Total October Sales: $1280
- Advertising sold for October: $1100
- Uploaded November Bullsheet
- Uploaded MP3 of October’s BOD
- 2013 Banquet Registration
- Partner Programs Update:
- Tyson Best Wing on the Planet Championship- Sam’s National
- Reser’s America’s Best Potato Salad Challenge –1 activation in October: American Royal World Series of BBQ
- Kingsford $40K Challenge –3 activations in October: American Royal, Sam’s National Championship and Jack Daniels World Championship
- 4 successful tour activations in October: American Royal in Kansas City, MO, Sam’s Club National Championship in Bentonville, AR, Eggtoberfest in Atlanta, GA and Jack Daniels World Championship in Lynchburg, TN
- Continual coordination and logistics for the remainder of 2012 GABT Tour
Sam’s National BBQ Tour
- Coordination and Logistics for 2012 Sam’s Tour National Championship Event and VIP Party in Bentonville, AR
- Continual PR/Social Media Updates – post 2012 Sam’s Tour
- Future planning coordination for 2013 Sam’s Club BBQ Tour
- Social Media, using MMA, KCBS, and GABT Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotions
- GABT: 2219 Twitter Followers / 1558 FB Likes
- KCBS: 1968 Twitter Followers / 11,354 FB Likes
- Updated News section of KCBS website as necessary (Sam’s Club results, Banquet News)
- Bullsheet Content – Sam’s Review, Tyson recap, Reser’s Review, Smithfield Review
- GABT: blog post reviews, monitored local PR for October activations
- Need Destination America Sponsorship Partnership decision
- Need a board vote on Smithfield Seal of Approval
- 2013 KCBS Banquet: sponsorship and booth prospecting and sales:
Sam’s Club, Kingsford, Tyson, Creekstone Farms, BBQr’s Delight, Pig Out Publications, The Kansas City BBQ Tour, Wusthof-Trident of America, Inc.
REP COMMITTEE REPORT - Mark Simmons
The rep committee met by conference call, November 7, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. and brings the following motions before the Board of Directors:
The rep committee unanimously moves that Doc and Sue Richardson, having completed their rep in training requirements, be accepted as official KCBS contest reps and now able to receive contest rep assignments.
The rep committee unanimously moves that Bill Maes, having completed his rep in training requirements, be accepted as an official KCBS contest rep and now able to receive contest rep assignments.
The rep committee is in preparation for the rep meeting at the annual meeting of KCBS in Kansas City.
The rep committee has one rep related issue to be discussed in executive session.
KCBScore COMMITTEE REPORT - Mike Budai
I met with Carl of InDevX on 11/5 and was informed that due to medical reasons, Dejan (Score's programmer), has left InDevX and the project. We discussed options and met again 11/7 to go over Dejan's progress notes on the changes given to InDevX on 9/11. These changes dealt with program bugs, report structure and the API. I will be meeting with InDevX's CEO, James, 11/12 to go over the change order and discuss what kind of delay to expect in order to get a new programmer up to speed.
Even with this new delay, the Committee thinks we are far enough along to start preparing for the training phase of Score. We are planning for a training webinar program similar to the 2012 Rep Continuing Education webinar. I expect the costs to be similar.
Motion: I move the board approve training webinar for Score.
I ask the board to accept this report as presented.
TECHNOLOGY REPORT - Mike Budai:
Considerable progress has been made to the KCBS office hardware upgrade. At this point the following have been completed:
1) All the new hardware has been purchased and delivered.
2) All the new desktops and laptops have been loaded with the new images.
3) Reconfiguring of the office peripherals has been completed.
4) Reconfiguring the office server is about 3/4 finished. At this point all the user data resides on the server. About half the email files still need to be relocated.
Once testing of the new server settings is finished, the new computers can be deployed.
I ask the board to accept this report.
2013 ELECTION COMMITTEE REPORT - Randy Bigler:
An Election Committee member would like to discuss the legitimacy of a nominee.
Update of Nominees for 2013 election.
I would like to make a motion to except the contract of Votenet election services to be used by the KCBS 2013 election?
MEMBERSHIP REPORT - Steve Farrin
Membership numbers as as of September 30th:
Number of Total Members = 16690
Number of New Members = 162
Number of Renewed Members = 718
Number of non-renewals = 437
Number of members who signed up via the website = 97 (21 were families)
Number of new members from Judging classes = 143
In talks with two companies about possible KCBS member discounts.
Kelly Cain talked to Restaurant Depot and the KCBS member Restaurant Depot pass program has been reactivated. The KCBS website was updated with all the necessary info. I have confirmation that a member went to a RD this passed weekend and was able to obtain a day pass.
RULES COMMITTEE - Dave Compton:
The Rules Committee is getting together suggestions for Rules changes to be forwarded to the new committee next year. I am also attempting to get a presentation/agenda sset up for the Open Rules Meeting at the January Banquet. Any and all suggestions from the general membership or the Board are welcome and will be seriously considered.
I move that the Board accept this report.
CBJ COMMITTEE - Mike Lake: See report for updated information.
EDUCATION COMMITTEE - Tana Shupe: No report