Committee Report Part 2December 10, 2012
SANCTIONING REPORT - Karrin Murphy (continued)
9/13-14 Jug Tavern Festival Winder GA
9/13-14 Smokin' For Gold Placerville CA
9/13-14 International Goat Days Festival BBQ Bash Millington TN
9/14-15 Harvard Fall Festival BBQ Contest Harvard MA
9/20-21 Sky's the Limit BBQ Classic Garden City KS
9/20-21 Art of BBQ Tulsa OK
9/21-22 Telluride Barbeque Festival Telluride CO
9/27-28 Taste of Danville Downtoan BBQ Competition Danville IL
9/27-18 Ohio Veteran Barbecue Battle Xenia OH
10/4-5 Keystone Classic Barbeque Harrisburg PA
10/4-5 Downtown Jonesboro BBQ Fest Jonesboro AR
10/11-12 The Real Squeal Lyons Barbeque &
Music Festival Lyons GA
10/11-12 Cookin' on the Kaw DeSoto KS
10/11-13 Riverside Blues & BBQ Festival Greenfield MA
10/11-12 Bliss Brews & Que Ft. Bliss TX
10/11-12 Eastern Carolina BBQ Throw Down Rocky Mount NC
10/18-19 Balloons, Blues, Bikes & BBQ Parsons KS
10/18-19 Kick in the Butt BBQ Competition Florence CO
10/19-20 8th Annual Lambs Farm Barn Burner Bar-B-Q Libertyville IL
10/18-19 Ohio Smoked Meat Festival Nelsonville OH
10/18-19 Swine & Dandy Charity Cookoff Duluth GA
10/19-20 Liberty Tree BBQ Festival Dalton GA
10/19-20 13th Annual Bordertown Bash Fort Smith AR
10/25-26 Hillbilly Hog BBQ Throwdown & Fall Leaf Fest. Cleveland GA
11/1-2 Hog Happenin' Shelby NC
11/1-2 Cookin' on the Creek BBQ Cook-Off Harrison AR
11/15-16 The National BBQ Cup Cummings GA
12/6-7 Christmas on the River State Championship BBQ Demopolis AL
New Contests 2013:
3/15-16 Buffalo Run Casino Presents
"Smokin' at the Run" Miami OK
4/5-6 Smokelawn Hot Springs AR
5/31-6/1 2nd Annual Valley Veterans Barbecue Comp. Valley NE
6/14-15 Sunflower Barbecue Topeka KS
6/21-22 Smoking Knights BBQ Competition Hutchinson MN
6/28-29 Bend of the River BBQ Smoke Off Mankato MN
8/23-24 Holy Smoke BBQ Contest Liberty MO
8/30-31 Park City BBQ State Championship Park City KS
9/20-21 Hogs & Hops Dover Dover DE
4/5-6 Kings of the Que BBQ Championship Sacramento CA
EDUCATION REPORT - Tana Shupe
In order to gather information for the Education Committee, I ask for the board's input regarding the following questions, and request approval for this survey to be sent to organizers of the contests that currently include Kids-Ques at their event.
TO ORGANIZERS OF CONTESTS THAT INCLUDE KIDS QUES: The Education Committee is seeking ideas and ways to increase the education about KCBS to our younger cooks. Certainly the contests that include Kids Ques are already important as they support these efforts. As an organizer of a contest that holds a Kids Que, I would like to hear your ideas. To that end, would you please fill out the following form and send it to me at email@example.com. I would appreciate receiving the form from you by September 1, 2012, with the hope that your input will help our committee further the KCBS Mission to better "educate" the public about KCBS and to encourage more young cooks to become involved in our organization.
1. How many years has your KCBS-sanctioned contest been in existence?
2. How many years have you included a Kids Que?
3. What is the name of your Kids Que?
4. What categories are included in this contest?
5. How many teams normally compete in your Kids Que?
6. Can you give an estimate of the ages of your young cooks?
7. Do the teams normally consist of one cook only or more?
8. Do you have a specific sponsor for the Kids Que contest?
If so, who is the sponsor? (If you don't want to be specific, please tell us local bank, local
9. What awards are given to this contest?
10. How many places receive awards? _______ Recognition? _______
11. Would you be interested in having your Kids Que be part of a structured KCBS-sanctioned event? By structured, we mean cooking specific categories (or having a choice of 2-3 options), possibly for points that could be accumulated toward a year-end award.
12. Do you have suggestions or ideas on how KCBS can help support or administer your Kids Que?
13. Are you happy with your contest as it is and wish no additional support from KCBS?
14. Please give us any suggestions as to how KCBS might better support your Kids event.
CBJ REPORT - Mike Lake
YTD Contests = 75; # Attendees = 3358; Member Attendees - 832; New Members = 2488; Media Contacts = 26
REP COMMITTEE REPORT - Mark Simmons
The rep committee does not have anything to report or any actions to be taken by the BOD.
We are waiting to prepare for a rep meeting if necessary, depending upon whether or not a demonstration and workshop on the new scoring program, KCBS Score, will take place in Kansas CIty at the annual meeting
TECHNOLOGY REPORT - Mike Budai:
1) Posted the November 14th and 28th board meeting mp3 recordings to our website.
2) KCBS office hardware upgrade is nearly finished. Should be completed this month.
3) As submitted were a breakdown of costs for our database Content Management System, (CMS)
KCBScore COMMITTEE REPORT - Mike Budai
I have been receiving daily updates from the new programmer.
As of the date of this report, 18 issues have been fixed, 3 are still being worked on.
I ask the board to accept this report.
RULES COMMITTEE - Dave Compton:
There hasn't been much activity this month on our committee. Hopefully things will pick up when the membership starts submitting their ideas as requested in this month's BullSheet and the upcoming e-blast from MMA. So far there have been no responses as to what anyone wants to discuss at the Open Rules Meeting.
PHILANTHROPY REPORT - Arlie Bragg
As we move in the 2013 BBQ season in a few weeks I ask that anyone on the board and or general membership who has any new ideas for Grants / Grants in Aid or any other Philanthropy issues to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.