July BOD MeetingJuly 7, 2013
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Director's AGENDA
July 10, 2013
RECITATION OF KCBS MISSION STATEMENT AND BOARD PLEDGE
Approval to accept minutes of last meeting
Existing Contests 2013– In house Approval
Existing Contests 2014 – In house Approval
3/14-15/2014 Don’t Be Cruel BBQ Duel Tupelo, MS
4/3-5/2014 Smokin on the River Summerville, GA
4/11-12/2014 6th Annual Main Street BBQ & Bluesfest Washington, MO
5/9-10/2014 Jiggy with the Piggy BBQ Challenge Kannapolis, NC
New Contests 2013 – In house Approval
9/13-14/2013 Island Fest Dubuque, IA
New Contests 2014 – In house Approval
2/27-3/1/2014 Shotgun Fred BBQ Showdown Huntsville, TX
7/11-12/2014 1st Annual BBQ Throwdown & Farm Festival Salisbury, NC
Existing Contest 2014
4/25-26/2014 VFW Post 846 6th Annual BBQ Challenge Overland Park, KS
9/19-20/2014 Tilley Harley-Davidson Biker Blues BBQ Rally Salisbury, NC
New Contests 2013
10/18-20/2013 Sons of the American Legion Red, White Smithville, MO
and Blue BBQ
Mike McCloud MMA
I want to get this month's report to you early. We will be traveling to Puerto Rico at the time of Wednesday's Board meeting. Please call or email any questions that you may have on our international activities. Kim, please add my report to Mike McCloud's.
Since the June Marketing Report, the IOTeam has received requests for sanctioning requirements for Nordrheim-Westfalen, Germany and Warsaw, Poland organizers. Both organizers are CBJ's and both have been involved with large food festivals and existing bbq contests through WBQA sanctioned bbq events. The Polish organizer has cooked as a competitive team at the Jack for the past 9 years and sponsored the Polish WBQA BBQ contest for the last 6 years. Both contests hold promise of being successful KCBS events now that we have International Reps to help them with their first year's event. We will continue to work closely with both organizers in a mentoring capacity.
The training of International Reps, the van Galen's, is on going. They are now working with organizers in Germany, Holland and England for license contests. They will complete their training schedule with their last two contests at the Jack and World Food Championship. We expect they will be working 6 to 8 contests in Europe next year.
This weekend will be our first sanctioned KCBS Contest in San Juan, Puerto Rico at the new Sheraton Convention Center. We have 40+ teams competing and a crowd of 10,000 is expected to attend the event. Cattlemen's and Rums of Puerto Rico are the two main sponsors which will draw a large crowd with 30 plus teams giving samples. The Caribbean BBQ Association wants to sanction 3 of their 5 contests in the Caribbean next year. CBBQA has scheduled a CBJ class in San Juan in February, 2014 in San Juan.
Currently, the IOTeam is working on 11 sanctioned contests for 2014 in 9 foreign countries.
We have collected all the results for the KCBS Membership Survey that went on May 1st and ended on May 15th. The survey is loaded with helpful information not only for KCBS but for brands and partnerships that KCBS has or will be pursuing.
Below is our executive summary of the report, please take a moment to read and look at the survey attached. If you have any questions please let me know. Overall the survey was a huge success for KCBS and partners!
A total of 4,165 online surveys were completed during our 2013 KCBS Member Survey. Based on 18,872 active members, the margin of error is + 1.34 at the 95% confidence level. This makes the KCBS Member Survey valid to represent the entire membership.
Competitive BBQ continues to gain popularity, which is showcased by an 18% increase in the number of contests our members participate in each year.
· In 2010, 37% of our members participated in 6+ events per year
· In 2013, 55% of our members will participate in 6+ events per year
Competitive BBQ teams continue to be strong repetitive buyers.
· In 2010, 55% of our competitors spent between $201-$400 per contest
· In 2013, 55% of our competitors still spend between $201-$400 per contest
· In 2010, only 27% of our competitors spent more than $401 per contest
· In 2013, 32% of our competitors will spend more than $401 per contest
More KCBS members are investing in the art of grilling.
· In 2010, 55% of our members owned three or more grills
· In 2013, 64% of our members own three or more grills
Similar to average consumers, KCBS members have increased how much they are grilling or barbecuing for leisure.
· In 2010, 63% of our members grilled or barbecued for leisure 25+ times a year
· In 2013, 70% of our members will grill or barbecue for leisure 25+ times a year
KCBS members are interested in learning new cooking techniques and recipes – 62% try new products & ingredients on a regular basis
· In 2013, 55% of our members got info to improve their cooking skills from cooking shows
· In 2013, 54% of our members got info to improve their cooking skills from cookbooks
· In 2013, 52% of our members got info to improve their cooking skills onsite at BBQ contests
KCBS members are active online
· In 2013, 85% of our members visit the KCBS website at least a few times per month
· In 2013, 77% own smartphones
· In 2013, 70% frequently use Facebook
Mark Simmon/Carolyn Wells
The Strategic Planning Committee continues to meet every two weeks. No actions to be considered by the Board at this time.
Mark Simmon/Carolyn Wells
Mark Simmons is in Montana and does not have internet access. He asked me to forward the attached Financial Reports with request that they be accepted as presented.
3 attachments — Download all attachments
Activity since last report:
1) Posted the June 12, 2013 KCBS board meeting recording to the KCBS website.
2) Updated rep advisory postings, received from the Rep Committee, on the rep Yahoo group site and the KCBS website.
3) Updated the KCBS.us email/groups for office personnel changes.
4) Updated office workstation accounts for personnel changes.
5) Updated committee email groups as requested.
6) Replaced office server battery backup due to failure.
I ask the board to accept this report.
There have been three installation issues reported so far with Score. All have been resolved.
The rep training webinars have been going well. At time of this board meeting, all available reps with contests in July or August will have taken the webinar or have signed up. The remaining reps have been invited/scheduled for webinars. The committee recommends to the board that we start using Score as of July 11, 2013.
I ask the board to accept this report.
Motion: KCBScore becomes the official KCBS contest scoring program as of July 11, 2013 and is used at all sanctioned contests going forward.
Motion: As a replacement for comment cards, judges will write their comments on the back of the score card.
An article has been prepared for The Bullsheet asking members what would be useful for them to know and inviting them to send the committee helpful information they want to share with the membership.
We are also working on interviews with winners of Kids Que events to share in future issues.
Motion to amend the pork rule that was originally re-worked for the 2014 season. This new wording would replace what was adopted previously and go into effect January 1, 2014:
"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."
As of now, we have heard no further from the RMBBQA. We were previously informed that they were looking to put together a proposal for a banquet in Denver in January, 2015 or 2016.
I would like to make a motion that the verbiage to the rep advisory be modified to reflect the following terminology relating to containers read the same. Using different terms for the same object only leads to confusion. In some cases, the word “turn-in” appears before the word “container”. To be consistent, have all the different verbiage i.e.: box, Styrofoam tray, all re-worded to read “team turn-in container” in each instance that it appears.
Also modify the verbiage “as per BOD approval” or “as decided by the BOD” by removing the verbiage as all rules, regulations, and advisories must be approved by the BOD it redundant to repeat this notification of the actions of the BOD.
See attached Rep Advisory for changes in verbiage. Those annotated in yellow to be modified and the verbiage in red be removed.
I would like to make a motion that Solicitation by a KCBS Reps at a contest for a charity is prohibited.
And it be added to the Code of Conduct in the Rep Manual
I'm waiting for two more non profits to send me some information on how they award grants and scholarships. Once I have these, hopefully by next week, our committee will be looking at a lot of options on what criteria we feel should be used in the future for awarding the Grants in Aid.
We'll be looking at whether to keep the paper applications or go to an online system, whether to set a grade point requirement, and many other options.
I would like to thank Sammye Phelps from the KCBS office for the help she provides myself and the CBJ committee each month. Sammye is the Member Services Manager, the office coordinator for CBJ, Table Captain, Cooking Classes and the Master Judge’s Program.
As of the end of June, 47 Certified Barbeque Judging (CBJ) classes have been taught in 2013, two of those being international (Netherlands and England). There has been a total of 2153 Students, 1513 New Members, 629 KCBS Members.
KCBS has also had 15 Certified Table Captain (CTC) Classes with a total of 270 students.
The CBJ committee met on June 24th with discussion on the following to be presented to the BOD:
- CBJ Shirts and Master Shirts.
Update: An e- blast will be sent to the membership about the new shirts and news about ordering as they become available.
- The CBJ committee continues to discuss continuing education for CBJ Judges. As previous outlined, the committee believes that continuing education for CBJ should not be mandatory but that CBJs that participate in continuing education from KCBS should be rewarded. The BOD in June was asked if they agree with this and it was confirmed that they do. Question and answers are being collected and reward recognition is still being discussed.
- The next CBJ Committee meeting is scheduled for July 30th.
Ad Hoc Committee
Ad Hoc Committee named to finalize the Member Survey and Regional Representation
After meeting on July 2nd, the committee, made up of Steve Farrin, Tana Shupe, Don Harwell, Candy Weaver and Carolyn Wells are in the final process of reviewing a questionnaire for the membership. The goal is to present the final committee survey to the BOD next month and ready the survey questionnaire for membership voting in September.
No report at this time.
Below are the numbers for MAY 2013.
Number of Total Members= 17,918
Number of New Members= 540
Number of Renewed Members=1488
Number of Non-renewals= 665
Number of members who signed up via the website=224 (30 were families)
Number of New Members from Judging classes=197
We received a proposal by a member to change the Lifetime Membership rates to a sliding scale based upon age. Can Carolyn or some of the BOD members who were involved with the the origination of the Lifetime Membership rate please discuss the original thoughts?
Carolyn was approached by an insurance company that offers coverage for trailers and pull behind vehicles (cookers). I have not heard any details yet but this does sound promising as another member benefit
I would like to request that the following be added as a statement or a rule to the 2014 Official Rules and Regulations for competing at a KCBS-sanctioned event:
From the time they arrive at a contest site until final departure, all participants at a KCBS-sanctioned contest are expected to deport themselves honorably and respectfully to all other teams, judges, KCBS representatives and organizers. Failure to do so may result in ejection from, disqualification, or forfeiture of winnings from the contest.
Motions affecting comment cards:
1. I make a motion that the use of comment cards be suspended for contest that have
(a number to be determined by the BOD) participants or more.
2. I make a motion that the use of comment cards be suspended for contest where the reps have made a special request to the BOD for said suspension.
3. I make a motion that the Entry (Box) # be cut off the top of all comment cards after they are stapled to the team detail reports until the implementation of newly designed comment cards can be printed and dispersed to the KCBS Reps or until September, 2013 whichever comes first.
4. I make a motion that comment cards would have a special tear off section that would have the place for the judges to write the entry or box number and that all reps should be instructed that the comment cards be stapled to the appropriate team detail report and after stapling, the tear off section containing the entry/box number be torn off and disposed of.
5. I make a motion that the newly designed comment cards shown below be implemented at all contest no later than September 2013.
Comment card used today
Entry (Box) #________________
Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket
CBJ: YES / NO
Scores: ______ ______ ______
Constructive comments only, please - Use back if needed
I move that the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors Responsibility Statement and Code of Conduct Policy (as attached hereto) be officially accepted for execution by every director serving on the board now and in the future, for all directors' guidance in serving their fiduciary duties.