September board meeting Quick NotesSeptember 12, 2014
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Agenda
September 10, 2014
Mark Simmons, Kim Collier, Candy Weaver, Dave Compton, Bill Capstack, Don Harwell, Steve Farrin, Richard Preston, Randy Bigler, Dennis Polson, Mike Peters, also Karrin Murphy and Mike McCloud. Wayne Lohman and Carolyn Wells out.
Member call in: Ralph Williams
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Minutes of July Meeting
Candy Weaver: I move to accept minutes of last meeting.
2ND CAPSTACK. PASSED
Kim Collier: I ask the BOD to accept the August financial reports.
2ND POLSON. PASSED
Mark Simmons: AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR COMMITTEES WERE CHALLENGED FOR GOALS – FOR NEXT MEETING PLEASE REVIEW GOALS AND SEE WHERE WE ARE ON ACCOMPLISHING THOSE GOALS IN 2014.
Karrin Murphy: Automatic Approval
REC’D DATES NAME CITY, STATE
Existing Contests 2015 – In house Approval
8/18/2014 1/30-31/2015 Lakeland Pig Festival Lakeland, FL
8/20/2014 3/27-28/2015 Firelake BBQ Cook Off Shawnee, OK
8/13/2014 4/3-4/2015 Smokin ON Big Creek BBQ Contest - Benefiting
Operation BBQ Relief Pleasant Hill, MO
9/2/2014 4/3-4/2015 Fifth Annual Bull Moose Somerville, TN
8/11/2014 4/10-11/2015 Bib's Camel City Cookoff (formerly Jammin' Pig) Winston-Salem,NC
8/14/2014 4/24-25/2015 Wabash Ribber Fest Mt. Carmel, IL
9/2/2014 5/1-2/2015 George County Firefighters Association BBQ
Challenge Lucedale, MS
8/29/2014 6/19-20/2015 Desoto Shrine Club 7th Annual 2015 BBQ Cook Off Hernando,MS
9/2/2014 6/19-20/2015 Miles City Cowtown Cook-Off Miles City, MT
8/14/2014 7/3-5/2015 I Love Barbecue & Music Festival Lake Placid, NY
8/18/2014 7/9-11/2015 SC Festival of Discovery Greenwood, SC
8/11/2014 7/17-18/2015 RiverFest Red White and Que Bellevue, NE
9/4/2014 7/17-18/2015 11th Annual WildBlue BBQ Burlington, KS
8/27/2014 7/31-8/1/2015 Rossville Tall Corn Festival BBQ Contest Rossville, KS
8/25/2014 9/18-19/2015 Tilley Harley-Davidson Biker Blues BBQ Rally and
BBQ Classic Salisbury, NC
New Contests 2015 – In house Approval
8/11/2014 1/9-10/2015 National Western BBQ Throwdown Denver, CO
9/2/2014 4/10-11/2015 CCS Spring Festival & BBQ Competition Indianapolis, IN
8/7/2014 5/2-3/2015 Smoke by the River Brugg Switzerland
9/2/2014 5/16-17/2015 Madison Magazine BBQ Festival Madison, WI
Sanctioning Committee Report
Randy Bigler: The sanctioning committee has reworked the Contest Organizers Guide to accommodate a stand alone Backyard contest. We will be having another meeting as soon as we can to give this one last go over and discuss some minor rule changes and how to implement them. Stay tuned.
I would like to make a motion to implement the KCBS Legacy Program. This would be a special award trophy/pin for any KCBS contest that has had a sanctioned contest for 25 20 or more years. This would allow this contest to use this honor and be mentioned in any of their promotion, banners or news articles.
DISCUSSION REGARDING NUMBER OF YEARS. BENEFITS OF A BANNER FOR RECIPIENT. MOTION REVISED TO 20 YEARS. DECATUR, AL NEXT. SANCTIONING TO GET BANNER DESIGNED AND DONE.
2ND AS AMENDED COMPTON. PASSED.
MMA Marketing Report
● Total August Sales: $2,470.38
● 73 - Birthday redemption YTD
● 44 - Cookbooks YTD
• Advertising sold for August: $1,640
• 633 members have opted in to receive Birthday emails YTD
100KCBS Meals Mission
• 33 out of 55 events completed
• 35,371 meals donated so far (36% of completion within 123 days)
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates
• 21 Local events complete
• 2 Regional events complete
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates - Picked up by 584 media outlets that has so far reached 291,921,331 impressions since launch
• On-going coordination and logistics for 2014 Sam's Tour
Great American Cookout Tour
• 15 festivals and 33 retail stops completed
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates – Picked up by 176 media outlets that has so far reached 171,627,923
• On-going coordination and logistics for GAC
Reser’s America’s Best Potato Salad Challenge
• 5 out of the 5 competitions completed
• Top 5 competitors plus 10 online winners compete for the championships on November 12th at the World Food Championships
BBQ Guru Challenge
• 7 out of the 10 competitions completed
• Next stop October 10th at Bliss Brews & Que in Fort Bliss, TX
PR – Courtney
• Social Media, using KCBS, and GAC Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
• GAC: .5% increase in Twitter Followers (4,876) / 1% increase in FB Likes (24,502)
• KCBS: 3% increase in Twitter Followers (7,095) / 3% increase in FB Likes (29,468)
• Updated News section of KCBS website as necessary (Sam's regional previews, event results)
MIKE ANNOUNCED “THE RUB” INSERT PUT TOGETHER BY MMA PROMOTING BBQ AND KCBS, PICKED UP IN ITS ENTIRETY BY NEWSPAPER IN COTTONWOOD, AZ. WIN-WIN-WIN FOR EVERYONE. MIKE PETERS STATED IT WAS VERY NICE. AUXILLARY BENEFIT TO NATIONAL SPONSORS WITH THIS.
RICHARD ASKED REGARDING THE RESTAURANT LOCATOR NOT WORKING. MIKE WILL LOOK INTO THAT.
WEAVER ASKED FOR REPORT ON MEDIA IMPRESSIONS ON VARIOUS ACTIVITIES. MIKE WILL LOOK INTO THAT AND PRODUCE A REPORT. HAS A TRACKER IN PLACE. FREE AND PAID-FOR SERVICES USED. WEAVER ASKED FOR OUTLINE OF MMA WORK FOR KCBS. MIKE STATED THAT MONTHLY REPORT IS PRODUCED, CAN COMPILE THAT INTO AN ANNUAL REPORT. WORKING WITH STRATEGIC PLANNING NOW TO PROVIDE SUMMATION OF CONTRIBUTIONS TO KCBS FOR CONTRACT.
INQUIRY REGARDING 100KCBS MEALS MISSION. MIKE SAYS WE ARE TRACKING RIGHT ON SCHEDULE.
Wayne Lohman: No report (overseas!)
CBJ Committee Report:
Don Harwell: Tuesday August 26th the CBJ Committee held its monthly meeting.
No Motions from the CBJ Committee this month
Discussion was held on many topics with the following being the highlights:
• New judges’ contest signup program.
o Committee was told Chair is waiting on detail of design document. Committee has many questions and is waiting for the design document from the Technology Committee.
• Each Instructor is to be using CBJ class student critics.
• How can KCBS aid judges wishing to cook with a team get linked to a team?
o KCBS Website will be looking into having some type of link for judges and cooks.
• Comment cards may be used for either why or why not the judge liked the entry.
Dennis Polson has completed his requirements for being a CBJ / CTC KCBS Instructor and has been add to the list of instructors.
The next CBJ committee meeting is scheduled for September the 30th, 2014.
APPROVE THIS REPORT. 2ND COMPTON. PASSED
Kim Collier: Motion to accept new reps after discussion in closed session.
I would like to make a motion a four contest probation period be added to the Rep in Training procedure. Once a Rep in training has gone through their training and have been approved by the BOD they will have a four contest probation period at which time it will be decided if the Rep is good fit for KCBS or if they will need additional training, or should just be removed as a Rep.
ARE THEIR ISSUES WITH THE REP IN TRAINING PROGRAM? NO, SIMPLY A SAFEGUARD. NEW REPS STILL GET PAID, JUST HAVE SOME OVERSIGHT AFTER TRAINING.
2ND COMPTON. PASSED.
Other subjects talked about were a way to help bridge the misconception /gap and to be informative for all. The Rep committee would like to do a trial run of inviting a team member to observe what really happens behind curtain on turn in/ judging day. We would ask if there is a team representative who would like to observe how things are done.
The team representative would have to stay during the whole judging, seating of CBJ's, meeting, CD, turn in, tabulations procedures awards. At the end they will have to fill out a survey to let us know if it was informative for them. Another suggestion was have a follow the box min cam video done.
THINK ABOUT THESE IDEAS. PETERS: SPARKS, NV DOES SOMETHING VERY CLOSE TO THIS THAT WORKS WELL. HARWELL: COOKS TAKE CBJ CLASSES, BUT WHEN A COOK JUDGES IT OPENS THEIR EYES AND VICE VERSA. NOT FOR SOMEONE WHO IS NOT A MEMBER OF KCBS.
REVIEW final version of cooks’ pamphlet. HARWELL GOOD ADDITION WITH STEVE’S COOKING TIPS. SHOULD HAVE PHOTOS WITHOUT GARNISH. PHOTOS FROM WEB SITE. WEAVER, RIB BOX HARD TO SEE ALL RIBS. HARWELL: PUT A DATE OR REVISION NUMBER ON IT.
KCBS Score Committee/Technology Committee
Kim Collier: MMA added the following Countries to the team information page.
Australia, Antigua, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, Ukraine
BBQScorecard.com contract with KCBS has been sent to the lawyers. NOT RECEIVED BACK YET. SENT DATA PAGE EXAMPLES WITH JUDGES INFORMATION. NOT ALL TEAMS LISTED ON EXAMPLES.
JUDGE SURVEY LOOKING FOR WHAT INFORMATION A JUDGE MAY WANT TO SEE. CAPSTACK: CAN BOARD GET A COPY OF THE RESULTS. COLLIER, YES AFTER NAMES AND NUMBERS REMOVED.
FARRIN: WHY DON’T WE DO A TRUE JUDGE SURVEY ON PAPER AT A CONTEST? GOOD IDEA! KEEP IT ANONYMOUS BUT WE’D KNOW IT CAME FROM ACTUAL JUDGES. HARWELL AND COLLIER WILL ASSEMBLE SURVEY QUESTIONS. BIGLER: JUDGES ONLY DO IT ONCE.
Mike Peters: No report.
Richard Preston: The Membership Numbers for August
Number of Total Members= 19,455
Number of New Members= 392
Number of Renewed Members=1161
Number of Non-renewals= 730
Number of members who signed up via the website= 237 (23 were families)
Number of New Members from Judging classes= 116
Number of Lifetime Members = 595
Number of International Members = 567
Number of Countries represented by KCBS Members = 25 – New Member in Finland
The Membership Committee would like to propose the KCBS Pitmaster Program for adoption as listed below:
- KCBS Pitmaster Program
- The Pitmaster Program will be based on total events cooked by cook teams and not calculated yearly.
- The breakdown in levels is illustrated below
Number of Events Level Color
100+ KCBS Pitmaster Pro Platinum
50+ KCBS Pitmaster Gold
25+ KCBS Master Cook Silver
10+ KCBS Certified Cook Bronze
- Cook teams will complete a sign-off sheet to document events. The sheet will be similar to the Judges Sign-off sheets.
- Cook teams will be able to go back to prior years to document events.
- Cook teams will be required to have Reps sign their sheets in order to document event. (like judges do)
- Forms using the Judges form as a model (not ready at this time)
- Cook Teams will get a Logo pin at each level achieved. (not ready at this time)
- The pin will be like the KCBS family logo
- Color will match level achieved
BACK TO COMMITTEE FOR FURTHER DEVELOPMENT.
Dennis Polson: The article for Nominations was in the September Bullsheet.
Candy Weaver: There was no meeting in August.
The Education Committee is working on an article for the November Bullsheet on Kids' Que.
Also in the works is formulating a plan to move more members to digital delivery of the Bullsheet instead of paper.
The interactive September Bullsheet was posted on September 2, 2014. As of September 7 at 3:45 pm, there were 7,655 issue visits. The availability is posted on the KCBS.us web site under KCBS News and in the "For the Board" section of The BBQ Brethren Competition BBQ forum.
Next meeting is September 16th.
Strategic Planning Committee
Bill Capstack: Our committee met twice since our last board meeting in August
Our current objectives include:
• KCBS Foundation 501(c)(3)
• Executive Director Succession Planning
• Expanding the Diversity of KCBS Events
• Permanent Home for KCBS
• Document the History of KCBS
KCBS Foundation 501(c)(3) Status:
• Our law firm submitted the application to the IRS on August 18, 2014. The approval process may take anywhere from 6-12 months. Thanks to Carolyn for her efforts in spearheading this initiative.
Executive Director Succession Planning:
• On-going discussions with emphasis towards examining the job requirements and compensation package to be presented to the board in the near future
Expanding the Diversity of KCBS Events:
• On-going discussions
• Wayne Lohman submitted the following notes regarding plans for the 7th Annual Hangout Oyster Festival in Gulf Shores, Alabama:
“ We are pleased to inform the Board that we have succeeded in licensing the 7th Annual Hangout Oyster Festival in Gulf Shores, AL.
This event is scheduled for Nov. 7-9, 2014. There will be 3 categories; Rockefeller, Cajun, and Raw. They are using 3 criteria for scores, Appearance, Taste, and Creativity. We feel will work well with our scoring system. Also, they have a database of celebrity judges but still welcome the trained palate of a KCBS judge. They expect 70 teams and an attendance of about 7-8000.
Maria and I met with the 3 organizers of this event on Aug.20th learning all we could about the layout and logistics. They would like to put their logo along with the KCBS logo on the plates & scorecards and are willing to have them printed. We will send samples of the judges’ cards and plates for KCBS approval.
The finale to this report is that we may already have a name for this Division of KCBS which was suggested by a Board member. It would be the Competitive Culinary Contest or "CCC" Division. We think this is simply brilliant and thank you Candy.”
Permanent Home for KCBS:
• On-going discussions
Document the History of KCBS:
• On-going discussions
I ask the board to accept this report.
HARWELL: FRUSTRATED BECAUSE OF LACK OF DETAIL. STRATEGIC PLANNING MEETS MORE THAN ANY COMMITTEE AND EVERY MONTH IT’S THE SAME COMMUNICATION. CAPSTACK: WE ARE WORKING ON LONG-RANGE INITIATIVES THAT DON’T HAVE A LOT OF DETAIL TO PRESENT AT THIS TIME. BROUGHT THE BOARD UP-TO-DATE ON THE SUCCESSION PLANNING, PERMANENT HOME FOR KCBS AND HISTORY OF KCBS.
Philanthropy Committee Report
Dave Compton: This month we reworked the application process for the Gary Wells and Carolyn Wells awards. We also got a new e-mail address set up for these awards, eliminating or reducing the chance for lost or misplaced paperwork for these programs. The new ads for these awards should be ready for publication both on the website and in the BullSheet.
We are working on the new, fully electronic applications for the Grants in Aid program and we should be ready to give the Board a demonstration by our October meeting.
I ask that the Board accept this report.
Regional Representation Committee
BIGLER: TOOK OVER COMMITTEE IN WAYNE LOHMAN’S ABSENCE. FORWARDED TO THE ENTIRE BOARD E-MAIL EXCHANGES OF COMMITTEE.
Bill Capstack: I move that the initial discussion of the e-blast be conducted in closed session. WITHDRAWN.
Candy Weaver: I move that the attached files as revised at this meeting be reformatted and sent as a e-blast questionnaire to all KCBS members. 2ND HARWELL.
DISCUSSION REGARDING WORDING CHANGES. DETERMINATION OF REGIONS, IS IT RIGHT TO BASE ON VOTING NUMBERS NOT MEMBERSHIP NUMBERS.
Rules Committee continued to respond to questions relating to rules.
Don Harwell: I motion that late turn-ins not be accepted by Reps and that the last sentence of rule 11 be changed from
“A late turn-in will receive a 1 (one) in all criteria.” to
“A late turn-in will not be accepted by a Rep and will receive a 0 (zero) in all criteria.”
Ones should only be used for a violation at the judging table.
2ND FARRIN. PASSED.
• I motion that rule 7 below
7) All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector. All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected. When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified; given a one (1) in all criteria by all six judges.
Be reworded to read:
7) All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector. All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected. When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified, not allowed to be turned in, and not judged, and receives no score. If discovered after turn-in, the team will receive (1) ones in all criteria for that entry.
FYI the last sentence is the same as in rule 8
POLSON: MOTION TO TABLE. PASSED
• I motion that the following wording in the 2014 Rules and Regulations Judging Procedures be reworded from:
“ CLARIFICATION: If product is turned in and is disqualified, it receives a one (1) in all criteria. If the team does not turn in a product or is disqualified and not allowed to turn in, that team’s category is not judged and receives no score. If a product is turned in and then disqualified for late turn in, no bone in ribs, etc., it is not judged and will receive a one (1) in all criteria. “
To be reworded to read:
CLARIFICATION: If the team does not turn in a product or is disqualified and not allowed to turn in or is late for turn in, that team’s category is not accepted and not judged and receives no score. If a product is turned in and then disqualified for any reason , such as no bone in ribs, etc., it will judged and will receive a one (1) or ones (1s) in all criteria depending on the rule violation.
As with all rule changes this would be effected in 2015.
2ND BIGLER. PASSED
Candy Weaver: I move that a judge's contest report detailing their average scores per category, their table's average category scores along with the average scores for the contest be developed and made available on the web site for the judge to download, if desired. 6/11/2014 TABLED PENDING WHAT TECHNOLOGY COMES BACK WITH ON CURRENTLY APPROVED PROPOSALS. 7/9/2014 RE-TABLED FOR THE SAME REASON ABOVE. 9/10/14, MOTION WITHDRAWN BASED ON PROGRESS SHOWN IN KCBSCORE REPORT ABOVE. WEAVER REQUESTS TO SEND IDEAS FOR JUDGES SCORE SHEET TO COLLIER AND HARWELL FOR PRESENTATION TO BBQSCORECARD.COM.
Candy Weaver: While at Memphis in May this past spring, Carolyn and I visited with a company out of Colorado that does beautiful work with custom metal trophies (steelimagesinc.com). Please check out samples of their work on their web site. Carolyn has reached out to them and asked for preliminary designs for Team of the Year trophies. The advantage is that these will lay flat for easy packing in a suitcase. I move that we pursue re-designing Team of the Year trophies so that the KCBS logo will feature predominately with graduated size increasing with higher placement. Passed in August. Proposed designs (2) submitted September 8. BOARD UNANIMOUSLY APPROVES CIRCLE DESIGN. HARWELL ASKS THAT IT’S BIGGER THAN HIS HAND. WEAVER: DESIGN SIZE SCALES UP IN SIZE TOWARDS THE LARGEST AT 1ST PLACE. OFFICIAL MOTION TO APPROVE TEAM OF YEAR TROPHIES TO BE PRESENTED IN OCTOBER WITH FULL DETAILS OF SIZE AND COSTS.
Candy Weaver: I move that all organizers be mandated to announce top ten winners in each meat category AND OVERALL, when a contest has 25 or more competitors. 2ND FARRIN. PASSED
SIMMONS READS AGENDA FOR CLOSED SESSION. COMPTION MOTION TO MOVE TO CLOSED SESSION. 2ND COLLIER.
Kim Collier: I would like to make a motion to accept Roxanne Gould AL as a new KCBS Rep. 2ND BIGLER. PASSED
Kim Collier: I would like to make a motion to accept Anita and Tony Moore as new KCBS Reps. 2ND BIGLER. ROLL CALL VOTE: AYE, COLLIER, WEAVER, COMPTON, CAPSTACK, HARWELL, PRESTON, BIGLER. NAY: POLSON, PETERS. PASSED
Kim Collier: I would like to make a motion to accept Bill and Jennifer Shiflett as new KCBS RepS. 2ND BIGLER. PASSED
WEAVER MOVE TO ADJOURN. 2ND PRESTON. PASSED