Board meeting Agenda - March 11March 9, 2015
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Agenda
March 11, 2015
Mark Simmons, Wayne Lohman, Kim Collier, Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, Bill Capstack, Dave Compton, Mike Peters, Dennis Polson, Mike Hays, Mike Richter, Sandy Fulton
KCBS Office: Carolyn Wells, Karrin Murphy
MMA – Megan LeBlanc/Mike McCloud
Member call in to speak:
Member call in to listen:
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Minutes of February Meeting
Candy Weaver: I move to accept minutes of the February 13th and 14th meeting
Kim Collier: Please accept the following reports for the month of February.
Karrin Murphy: Automatic Approval
REC’D DATES NAME CITY, STATE
Existing Contests 2015 – In house Approval
2/20/2015 6/12-13/2015 Bend of the River CookOut Mankato MN
3/2/2015 6/12-13/2015 Sons of the American Legion Red, White & Blue BBQ Smithville MO
2/13/2015 7/17-18/2015 Smoke on the Mountain - VA State Championship Galax VA
2/11/2015 8/14-15/2015 Maryland State BBQ Bash Bel Air MD
2/20/2015 8/21-22/2015 Holy Smoke BBQ Liberty MO
2/24/2015 8/21-22/2015 Pigs and Peaches BBQ Festival Kennesaw GA
2/27/2015 8/28-29/2015 Smoke in the Valley Pikeville TN
3/2/2015 8/28-29/2015 Back to Back to the Park BBQ Marshalltown IA
2/20/2015 9/4-5/2015 5th Annual Smokin In the Bogs Warrens WI
2/10/2015 9/25-26/2015 Downtown Jonesboro BBQ Festival Jonesboro AR
2/24/2015 11/13-14/2015 Smokin' Up The Saddle Club Chatsworth GA
New Contests – In House Approval
2/27/2015 5/29-30/2015 Piggin' in the Park Woodruff SC
2/24/2015 6/12-13/2015 Big Kahuna Wing Festival (Competitor’s Series) Knoxville TN
2/20/2015 6/13-14/2015 BBQ Battle Royale at Taste of Dallas Dallas TX
3/5/2015 6/19-20/2015 Eureka BBQ Bash Eureka KS
2/27/15 6/27-28/2015 1st Annual Greenport Harbor Beer, BBQ & Blues Peconic, NY
2/27/2015 7/10-11/2015 Drayton Kinsmen Smoke and Sounds Festival Drayton, Ontario, Canada
2/27/2015 7/17-18/2015 Cajun BBQ Bash Lafayette LA
2/9/2015 7/31-8/1/2015 Badger Brews & Que Manitowoc WI
2/16/2015 8/7-8/2015 Smokin on the Smoky Salina KS
2/20/2015 9/12-13/2015 Balloons, Blues & BBQ Bloomington IN
2/27/2015 9/19-20/2015 Het BBQ Kampioenschap Van Het Waasland Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
2/26/2015 9/25-26/2015 Heiferz-Hogz-Henz-Smoke Out 500 Delmar DE
3/2/2015 10/2-3/2015 1st Annual Hot Q's & Cold Brews BBQ Championship Oroville CA
2/13/2015 10/17-18/2015 1st Annual Grillin N Chillin BBQ Celebra-cation Riviera Maya, Mexico
Existing Contests 2015
2/2/2015 10/2-3/2015 Roast N' Boast Columbus, MS
Conflict: Corinth, MS 120-144 miles. Tabled in February.
12/1/2014 10/9-10/15 Downtown BBQ Showdown Hattiesburg, MS
Conflict: Ocean Springs, MS 77-98 miles. Tabled in February.
Mark Simmons: The sanctioning committee has been organized with the following members.
Mark Simmons, Chairman
Randy Bigler, Co-Chairman
Carolyn Wells, ex-officio
Mike Peters, ex officio
By consensus, 0ur meetings will be held the 4th Wednesday each month, so our next meeting will be Wednesday evening, March 25th at 7:00 p.m. CDT
Mike Hays: The Marketing Committee members for 2015 will be: Randall Bowman, David Qualls, Ralph Williams, and Larry Voth.
We have discussed several ideas that are focused on marketing KCBS to cooks as potential members. We will be working closely with the Membership Committee to try and determine the best ways to increase the number of cooks as members.
We will also be looking at ways we can help contest organizers market their contests locally to help obtain sponsorships. This might be in the form of a packet or marketing piece that will help them identify and approach potential sponsors.
We've also discussed other ideas, such as updating or creating new KCBS merchandise and perhaps creating a co-op merchandising/licensing program where cook teams can incorporate their logo on KCBS merchandise.
In the next 30 days we will be prioritizing our goals and begin moving forward on some of our ideas.
MMA Marketing Report
● Total January Sales: $2,062
● 117 - Birthday redemption
● 60 - Cookbooks
• Advertising sold for January: $850
• 804 members have opted in to receive Birthday emails
• Completed Team History and Team Rankings for TOY
• Continual work on Judges Registration portal
• International micro-site will be added to the site as the international team sends in content
100KCBS Meals Mission
• 122,469 meals donated so far (4 events left for the 2014 goal)
• Approved for 250,000 meals to start on May 1st, 2015
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates
• Entire tournament now almost full with 739 teams
• Judging slots almost full with 1,197 judges
• Master Judges for National Championship to be registered on August 6
• First event kicks off on 2/21 at a new Sam’s Club in Kissimmee, FL
Great American Cookout Tour
• Logistics and planning for 2015 tour – schedule, assets, sponsor deliverables, etc.
• Social Media, using KCBS, and GAC Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
• GAC: Twitter Followers (5,119) / FB Likes (24,827)
• KCBS: Twitter Followers (7,941) / FB Likes (32,642)
• Updated news section on KCBS: Team of the Year announcement and Sam's Club Prize Purse unveiling, Local press release for Team of the Year: Warren County Pork Choppers
• Mike attending the Board Retreat to discuss short and long-term objectives
• Mike speaking at NBBQA about BBQ and Food Sport
• Helped HPBA with a Super Bowl promo; working on stronger tie with them
International Committee March Report
March 5, 2015
- Contest Activity
Wayne & Maria Lohman ushered March in with a trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico to attend the 8th Annual Smokin' Hot BBQ Festival in 70 degree weather. This contest has become the premier BBQ event in the Caribbean.
The Caribbean BBQ Association sanctioned the ancillary contest on Saturday where the judges scored burgers, steaks, wings, pork chops and whole hog over a 5 hour period. It's no wonder why they had so many judges who volunteered for the ancillary categories that included both blind and on site judging.
Sunday was KCBS's day to work with the cooks and judges. This was our 3rd year that KCBS sanctioned this contest which has become more and more popular every year. There is one hour between each turn in which allows the teams to give away samples of their entries to the public. 32 teams competed in 5 categories that began at 11:00 am and ended at 3:00 pm.
T-Mac Smokers, from Wisconsin, squeaked past Sabor A Lena to capture Grand Champion by a half point. 47 CBJ's helped judged this exciting contest that had a public attendance of 8,000 BBQ enthusiast.
A special thank you to Mike Compton and Alex Rodriguez who worked so hard to make this an outstanding contest for the Caribbean BBQ Association.
- Board of Managers Developments
KSBS International Mission Statement :
Recognizing barbecue as America's cuisine, our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote American Barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form by:
• Increasing the knowledge and skills of Out of United States (O.U.S.) competition cook teams to successfully compete in KCBS competitions.
• Instructing, training and certifying judges according to KCBS parameters so they could judge KCBS sanctioned contests anywhere in the world.
• Supporting and encouraging O.U.S. KCBS competition organizers.
• Increasing KCBS membership worldwide.
To support the Board of Managers Mission Statement, the following Committee Chairs were formed:
Contest and Event Development: Wayne Lohman
Sanctioning and Scheduling: Debby Gage and Maria Lohman
International Reps: Bill Gage
Cooking Classes: Jim Johnson
CBJ Classes: Maria Lohman
Social Media: Becky Johnson
Website: Bill and Debby Gage
Transportation & Accommodations: Becky Johnson and Maria Lohman
CBJ Committee Report:
Randy Bigler: The CBJ Committee met on 24 February for our first meeting of the year. All CBJ instructors are considered members and are welcome to call in each month. Additional members are Dave Compton, Bill Capstack, Ed Hartman and Sammye Phelps. We will hold our meetings the last Tuesday of the month and any BOD member is welcome to set in.
The first thing we discussed was the motion I made at the February BOD meeting to have domestic CBJ classes suspended. The committee members were concerned with the motion because we have many cooks attending our classes and if we suspend the classes there will not be sufficient locations for them to attend. We also felt with the addition of the Sanctioned Backyard Competitions we will need more judges. See motion below:
I move to Reconsider the following motion:
BIGLER I MOVE THAT WE SUSPEND ALL NEW DOMESTIC CBJ CLASSES (DOES NOT APPLY TO CBJ CLASSES ALREADY SCHEDULED) UNTIL APPROVED BY CBJ COMMITTEE. 2ND POLSON. RICHTER, STUDY STATISTICS FOR CBJ SATURATION. WHAT IS CRITERIA FOR DETERMINING NEED FOR CLASSES? PASSED. GUIDELINES AVAILABLE BY NEXT BOARD MEETING.
The committee also worked on 50 revised questions and answers to the Continuing Education Review for the KCBS Website.
I move to have CBJ instructors reimbursed for the use of their computer, projector, printer, supplies and postage used when teaching classes. I recommend the fee of $50 per class.
Please accept this report.
Kim Collier: Set goals for 2015
Make a motion to accept new rep in training (discussion in closed session).
KCBS Score Committee/Technology Committee
Dennis Polson: Chairman Dennis Polson Members Candy Weaver, Dave Londeen, Kim Collier, Bill Sheflett, Scott Grinsted, Steve Grinsted, Stephen Smith, Steve Amos, President Mike Peters, Executive Director Carolyn Wells, MMA Megan Leblanc
Steve and Scott reported on Score and how updates are handled.
Kim gave an update on Team History, and Judges Sign Up. These programs should be in place by this meeting. Kim would also like to setup a Rep site and an Organizer page.
Megan gave an update on MMA and explained how work is prioritized at MMA.
1. To help the office to get updated and tied together to help in the work load.
2. Find local support company to keep the office equipment updated.
3. Continue to update Score.
4. Work with MMA on all committee projects.
5. Work with other contractors on all updates and needs.
6. How to track Judges that take the CBJ review.
Weaver: I move that the Team History module be added to the members-only section of kcbs.us.
Getting this started is the first step to getting contest tally sheets available inside team history. Once the addition is made to add overall placement to the team scoring detail sheet in KCBScore, then we can move that reps only distribute team detail sheets after awards at contests. Category details will be available to member teams in team history, which is available as an option when logged in to kcbs.us. This will simplify the rep job and boost team membership numbers!
Sandy Fulton: The Banquet Committee has prepared their strategic plan for the 2016 KCBS Banquet. We will begin working on all of the objectives and assigning tasks via email and our committee meeting. The meetings will be on the last Tuesday of the month at 10 AM Central Time.
We are awaiting receipt of the contract for the Banquet for 2017 which will be held in Atlanta. Once received by the KCBS it will be signed.
The Banquet Committee consists of:
Sandy Fulton, Chairperson
We will be needing more members for this committee, if interested please let me know.
Mike Richter: Committee members for 2015:
Another one or two members are pending.
Monthly teleconference to be scheduled.
FYI Since Sammye submitted the numbers KCBS Membership reached 20060!
Below are the numbers for February, 2015
Number of Total Members= 19,961
Number of New Members= 508
Number of Renewed Members=1297
Number of Non-renewals=322
Number of members who signed up via the website= 221 (24 were families)
Number of New Members from Judging classes= 268
Number of Lifetime Members = 725
Number of International Members = 688
Number of Countries represented by KCBS Members = 29*
Mike Richter: Rules membership for 2015
Monthly teleconference to be scheduled.
Sandy Fulton: No report.
Candy Weaver: For 2015, the Communications Committee is Betsy Masters, Ralph Williams, Michael McDearman, President Mike Peters, Executive Director Carolyn Wells, office staff Sybilla Hawkins and Karrin Murphy. Committee chair is Candy Weaver.
Kids Que Corner has been updated for the April issue of the Bullsheet. An interview with a grant in aid recipient is in the works.
This committee will meet on the third Tuesday of every month at 7 pm CDT. First meeting will be on March 17th. Any board member is welcome to attend any communications meeting.
Megan LeBlanc with MMA, developed a master monthly e-blast to the membership announcing the availability of the interactive Bullsheet and a link thereto.
Marc Farris with BBQTV has graciously offered to assist in developing a rep training video using existing video footage. Candy is drafting an outline which will be distributed to the Rep Committee for comment. This will be major part of the agenda for the 3/17 meeting.
Please accept this report.
Strategic Planning Committee
Bill Capstack: Our committee members are Bill Capstack (Chairman), Paul Kirk, Mark Simmons, Dennis Polson, Bruce Bubacz, Joe Otto, Mike Peters (President) and Carolyn Wells (Executive Director)
Our Committee had our first meeting on March 2, 2015. We plan to meet twice a month on the first and third Mondays.
Our ambitious goals for 2015:
1. Permanent Home for KCBS: We are in the data gathering stages of determining what should be on the “wish list” to include in the new facility. Each board member, Strategic Planning Committee members and the KCBS office were sent an email at the end of last week asking for input on what are our “big picture” requirements are for the new location. At this stage, we’re not looking for details such as size, how many etc., but rather big picture ideas like a museum, classroom, offices, restrooms, etc. We will then start the programming session to work out the details of design, real estate and construction. The board will be kept fully informed as to our progress and motions will be made as needed.
2. Review prior board decisions for their origin, justification and continued relevance: A sub-committee has been formed to start the review process.
3. Finalize the job requirements and transition agreement for the Executive Director: A sub-committee has been formed to continue this process.
4. Develop ancillary category standards: We’re continuing to develop these standards to help our organizers determine the types of KCBS ancillary events they would like to have and the KCBS standards that will apply to those events.
5. Explore additional ways to expand participation at events, i.e., Collegiate-level competitions: Progress is being made to determine the feasibility of having a collegiate-level competitive series event next fall.
6. Memorandum of Agreement for the KCBS history: Carolyn Wells is spearheading this initiative.
We ask the board to accept this report.
Philanthropy Committee Report
Dave Compton: Our committee has prepared for the rush of Grant in Aid and Charitable Grant applications that will start coming in around the end of the month. The cut-off dates are April 3rd and April 30th, respectively and it seems that about 80% off all applications come in on the last week. Things should go a lot smoother this year using the new electronic systems.
Our committee members are:
Dave Edyburn, Wisconsin
Nancy Goldsmith, Iowa
Raye Keyes, Office
Mike Peters, President
Carolyn Wells, Executive Director
Dave Compton, Chair
We will probably be adding a couple of more names in the near future. All of our meetings are via e-mail which makes it compatible with varying work and family schedules.
I ask that you accept this report.
Closed Session agenda:
Kim Collier: Propose new rep in training.
Mike Peters: Mike Peters: Discussion of public relations incident.