July Board Meeting MinutesJuly 13, 2015
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Minutes
July 8, 2015
Mike Peters, Randy Bigler, Kim Collier, Candy Weaver, Bill Capstack, Dennis Polson, Mike Hays, Mike Richter, Sandy Fulton, Wayne Lohman
KCBS Office: Carolyn Wells, Karrin Murphy, Emily Dupont
MMA – Mike McCloud
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Minutes of June Meeting
Candy Weaver: I move to accept minutes of the June 10th meeting. 2ND CAPSTACK. PASSED
Kim Collier: Please accept the attached finance report. 2ND LOHMAN. PASSED
Emily Dupont: Automatic Approval NO REPORT
REC’D DATES NAME CITY, STATE
New Contests – In House Approval
6/30/2015 10/2-10/2 UMKC Royal Roo BBQ Competition Kansas City, MO
7/1/2015 10/9-10/10 Smokin Hot Atlantic City BBQ Championship Atlantic City, NJ
6/15/2015 10/23-10/24 Seawitch Brew n Que at Delaware Sea Shore Rehobeth Beach, DE
Existing Contests – In House Approval
6/15/2015 6/3-6/4/2015 Smokin in Steele Owatonna, MN
6/16/2015 1/8-1/9 National Western BBQ Throwdown Denver, CO
6/16/2015 2/5-2/6 Brasstown Valley's BBQ Throwdown Young Harris, GA
6/16/2015 3/4-3/5 Boda Getta BBQ Auburn, AL
6/30/2015 4/15-4/16 Mainstreet BBQ & Blues Festival Washington, MO
6/19/2015 4/15-4/16 Smokin Butts & Tires Conyers, GA
6/22/2015 4/22-4/23 Morris Twister Days BBQ Competition Morris, OK
6/16/2015 4/22-4/23 CCS Spring Festival & BBQ Indianapolis, IN
6/23/2015 5/6-5/7 4th Annual BBQ Throwndown Show Low, AZ
Board Approval – Existing Contests
6/25/2015 6/17-6/19/2016 Rock'n Ribfest NH State BBQ Championship Merrimack, NH
CONFLICT: Examine based on contests held this weekend, this year.
PETERS: THIS POTENTIAL CONFLICT TO BE DISCUSSED AT A LATER DATE. LOOKING TO FIND A BETTER METHOD FOR APPROVAL OF POTENTIAL CONFLICTING CONTESTS.
Randy Bigler: Committee Members present: Carolyn Wells, Mike Peters, Fred Kilgore, Sandy Fulton, Debbie Yopp, Emily Dupont. Mark Simmons did not attend he was in Canada on KCBS business.
I introduced a new member to our committee Mr. Robert Vanderipe, Pitmaster from Pro Cook team Smoke Me Silly out of Madison, Alabama.
The committee discussed whether a contest organizer or family members should be able to cook at their own contest. The consensus was no. The rules committee is submitting a motion regarding this for the July BOD meeting.
We also discussed an Open contest or an Invitational contest and how teams are acquired for the contest and thoughts on TOY points for invitational only events and after some discussion from the committee I recommended we table this until next month so that I could invite the Rules Committee to attend to discuss together.
The next committee meeting will be 22 July 2015 at 7:00 pm CST.
MMA Marketing Report
● Total May Sales: $2561.25
● 5 -‐ Birthday redemption
● 6 -‐ Cookbooks
● New proposal from Zone West, Thom Koplar, to license merchandise in Canada. THIS WILL BE FOR CANADA ONLY. LOHMAN STATED THAT KCBS WILL NEED THE SAME FOR EUROPE.
• Total Page Views for May: 482,281
• Total Unique Users for May: 47,247
• Advertising sold for May: $1,150
• Judges’ Test page modifications request sent to FoxFuel
• Ongoing International updates – Photo Rotator, Google Translate
250KCBS Meals Mission
• Current Total – 10,597 meals (as of 7.6.15)
• Current Number of Events that have signed up: 37
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates
• 17 local events complete, 4 in June
• 1 regional event complete
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates
• On-‐going coordination and logistics for 2015 Sam’s Tour
• BBQ 101: Tips & Techniques of the Pros
• 1 test completed
• Additional test pilot to be conducted at Madison Regional event
• Sam’s Tour monthly eblast
Great American Cookout Tour
• 8 KCBS events complete, 3 in June
• 17 Retail Stops complete, 9 in June
• Dana Point State BBQ Championship stop confirmed
• On-‐going coordination and logistics for 2015 GAC Tour
• Social Media, using KCBS, and GAC Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-‐related events/promotion
o GAC: Twitter Followers(5,373) / FB Likes (24,499)
o KCBS: Twitter Followers (9,043) / FB Likes (35,928)
• Updated KCBS News site — Sam's Tour results, announcement of Town Hall meeting
• Bullsheet eblast went out June 2
• Posted preview of KCBS sanctioned events on social media each Wednesday
• Posted previews of Sam's Tour events each week on social media
• Posted TUMS Pitmaster challenge quizzes on social media
• KCBS membership survey complete and Sam’s Club Gift Card winners’ emails submitted to KCBS
• New Seal of Approval occurring on 7/13/15
• Cambro giveaway program update
• Stephanie (new KCBS PM) up and running
Mike Hays: No report. Next scheduled meeting is August 5th.
Wayne Lohman: The International Board of Managers had the opportunity to meet in Perugia, Italy with our two appointed Reps in training, Haymo Gutweniger and Luca Famigli. Both reps executed their job responsibilities very well with teams and judges. The contest brought 24 teams together with an estimated crowd of over 15,000 who participated in the cooking and food demonstrations during the weekend. Our activities were curtailed when one member of the IOTeam was bitten by a dog and had to be taken to the hospital, by ambulance, for treatment.
The following week brought the Board to Prague, Czech Republic for the cooking/judging classes. 21 cooks participated in the cooking class where the group was broken down into 6 teams. They cooked all 4 meats during the night as a regular sanctioned contest but with a 60 minute turn in time between each entry to allow for the judging class to explain their scores.
Nineteen students attended the CBJ portion of the 2 day class. The CBJs judged this mock contest where the cooks came in and heard each table of judges critique their individual meat entry. Eight different countries (Italy, England, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Switzerland, Finland, Spain and Austria) attended the class.
As a side note, we are now revising our sanctioning goals to 38 contests, double the 17 contests in 2014. Norway has now requested a CBJ class in August, the week after our second contest in Sweden.
The Board of Managers is also pleased to report that our Grill Stock contest in London, September 6, is written up in the July issue of KLM in-flight magazine. The article states that "this festival combines rockabilly, Cajun and bluegrass bands with a US-style slow BBQ competition. The place to enjoy crafty beer bars with meaty treats."
The Lohmans are on their way to Gaiarine, Italy, 2 hours north of Venice, for the first Invitational Contest in Europe, Prime Uve. The remainder of this trip will be written in the August report to meet the 72 hour deadline requirement.
KCBS International Board of Managers
GOAL FOR 2015 WAS 30 CONTESTS, 38 ARE CURRENTLY ON SCHEDULE. FOR 2016, 50 INTERNATIONAL CONTESTS. 2ND CONTEST IN AUSTRALIA IN THE WORKS.
CBJ Committee Report:
Randy Bigler: Members Present: Bill Capstack, Dennis Polson, David Compton, Carolyn Wells, Mike Peters, Stephen Smith, Mike Lake, Don Harwell, Kelly McIntosh, Kathy Daki, Ed Roith, Ed Hartman,Carol Bigler, Dave Londeen, Rich Tuttle, Emily Dupont, Bunny Tuttle, Ralph Williams.
We discussed an update of our current judging plate. As you are aware, the plate we now use has 6 squares to place our products. We are entertaining the idea of going to basically the same size plate except it would have 7 strips.This was proposed so that brisket would be able to lay flat on the plate and would also accommodate other types of products. After some discussion it was suggested that Carolyn Wells check on prices from the printer and any suggestions from the printer to accommodate said changes. She will report back to the committee next month.
LOHMAN: SEES A POTENTIAL PROBLEM WITH A PLATE REDESIGN IN AUXILLARY AND NON-STANDARD CONTESTS.
A KCBS judge suggested a new recognition: THIS AWARD WOULD BE PRESENTED TO COOK TEAMS THAT HAVE SCORED A PERFECT 180 IN ALL FOUR MEAT CATEGORIES. 180 CHICKEN - 180 RIBS - 180 PORK AND 180 BRISKET. After a lengthy discussion, we decided the following:
1. Someone would be required to research through 29 years of old paperwork looking for the teams that have accomplished this
2. Teams are currently awarded 180 pins as recognition at contest events
3. Teams are currently recognized and awarded 180 Perfect Perfect Pins at the annual banquet
The committee as a whole decided that at this time we would let things stand as they are now and no new recognition needs to be given.
I called the judge that submitted the idea and thanked him for his suggestion. I told him the decision of the committee and he understood the predicament we would have if we went back to the beginning trying to find the winners on old paperwork. He then asked if it would be possible to go back as far as the automated records would allow and go from there. I told this member I would bring this idea back to the committee next month for discussion, but not to expect any changes to be made.
We also discussed the mandatory requirement to retake the CBJ class every so often to keep up your judging certification. Although we thought this was a good idea, it was decided by the committee that because judges are strictly volunteers, we could not require them to retake a judging class. Judges are told at CBJ classes that they are welcome to come to any CBJ class for a refresher without additional cost to them, but they must pay the additional cost if they actually want to take part in the sample judging of the products provided by the class.
RICHTER: WHY NOT MANDATORY COMPUTER-BASED REFRESHER COURSE(S).
We had another member submit new guidelines that he thought would help KCBS, after looking at them we decided that KCBS has their own guidelines and would not need to add or change anything at this time. Also, this person suggested the use of a new scorecard/comment card that we could edit to suit our needs and he submitted a sample of one that is currently used by the beer judging community. It is a great looking score sheet but it would not work for the reps when trying to input scores and their is no way to separate the scores from the comment portion that we need to give to the cooks. This just would not work for what we do.
A suggestion was made to the committee to think about requiring all judges not just the ones working toward their MCBJ to cook with a team. We thought about it and talked about it and there is just no way we could require this. We surely do appreciate all of the teams that let the MCBJ candidates cook with them and hope that more will sign up with the KCBS office to do so, There are just not enough teams that would want to do this week in and week out to accommodate all the judges currently certified through KCBS.
We looked at the judges score sheet that was submitted to the committee. We really like the idea of this sheet for the judges but with the following changes:
Remove table number and seat number and change the contest average to table average and add appearance, taste and tenderness averages.
The next CBJ committee meeting will be July 28, 2015 at 7:00 pm CST.
Kim Collier: No report.
KCBS Score Committee/Technology Committee
Dennis Polson: Members -- Scott and Steve Grinstead, Candy Weaver, Dave Londeen, Kim Collier, Bill Sheflett, Stephen Smith, Steve Amos, Maria Lowman, Carolyn Wells, ex officio, Mike Peters, ex officio, Dennis Polson Chair
The Committee got together by phone on June 2nd at 7:00 PM CDT.
Scott and Steve reported on Score update and issues they are working on. They have been in contact with James Ashford with NDEX on cost to fix certain issues to improve Score.
DISCUSSION ON THIS ISSUE. FALLS WITHIN THE SCOPE OF OFFICE AUTHORITY TO PROCEED WITH REWORK OF KCBScore.
Kim updated the Committee on the Reps web site.
Kim updated the Committee on Judges sign up. It is now up and working according to Karin. The Organizers needs to be aware of this new service provide by KCBS at no cost.
RICHTER: ASKED REGARDING MEMBER PROPOSAL FOR SEATING JUDGES. HE WILL RESEND THE PROPOSAL.
Our July meeting was July 7th.
I move to accept this report.
Sandy Fulton: MEMBERS: Carolyn Wells, Mike Peters, Chris Peters, Raye Keyes, Sandy Fulton, Chair and Barbara Driscoll, Co-Chair
The committee met on June 30, 2015
• Sandy reported that Mike McCloud currently has a commitment of $10,000 in sponsorships money for the Banquet. He is continuing to work on sponsorship money and will update us monthly.
• It was decided that recognition for former champions would be in the form of a slide show. Sandy will contact Karrin to work on the slide show. She has put the slide show together at previous banquets and has done an excellent job.
• Final costs for the 80’s theme party which will include a Dj, Photographer, decorations and finger food will be $10,000.
• Motion: Banquet Committee requests the Boards approval on the $10,000 cost for the 80’s Party/Lifetime Member Reception. 2ND WEAVER. TABLED PENDING FURTHER EXAMINATION.
• Chris Peters continues to secure items from vendors for the Silent Auction and Door Prizes. Some of the cooks have said that they would donate a spot in one of their classes but they would like the proceeds to go to a charity.
• Carolyn has been in touch with Kathryn from the trophy company who has done the trophies for KCBS in the past. They are currently working on a mock up.
• Rayes has contacted the organizer who will be doing the BBQ Crawl for us. They have requested a deposit of $250 to secure the reservation. We are guaranteeing 30 people for this event. Individuals can sign up and pay for this event when they are registering for the banquet.
• Barbara will update us on the overall conference program and exhibitor update in July.
• Pre-conference registration sign up for tours, crawl, 80’s Party etc. will be ready by early Fall. Per Raye registration will be streamlined and attendees will be able to sign up for what they want to participate in on the website along with the dinner.
• The following committees have requested the amount of time they need allocated for their work sessions.
o Marketing Boot Camp 1 hour
o BBQ 101 Ambassadors 1 hour
o Table Captain Class 2 hours
o Legacy/Philanthropy 1 ½ hours
o Rep Meeting 2 hours
o Red Cross Class tbd
o Life Safety Simulator tbd
o Butcher Class/Mike McGonigle 1 hr.
o Rules Committee tbd
o The Bullsheet/COMMUNICATIONS 1 hr.
o ORGANIZER ROUNDTABLE 1 ½ HOURS
• Carolyn is working on the guest speaker and hopes to have the speaker scheduled in the next couple of months.
• All Committee Chairs must provide Banquet Committee with a brief written description of their work session so we may publish it in the program.
• Carolyn working on securing room for the showing of John Marcos film.
• Sandy will contact Karrin to place ad in Bullsheet in August announcing Banquet location and dates and that more details will be forthcoming.
• Sandy reported that she felt that there was more to KCBS than the actual cooking of BBQ. There are people in our BBQ family that have had life changing experiences because they have been introduced to the wonderful world of BBQ. She felt it would be wonderful to hear the stories of how BBQ has changed their life, not that they have become a cook or a judge or even a rep or organizer, but how BBQ came into their life when they needed something or someone. The KCBS family is a wonderful family and she felt it would be a great idea for the family to hear from individuals whose life has changed because of BBQ.
• Members would be asked to write their story and send it in to KCBS.
• Carolyn suggested the program could be called Smoked Chicken Soup for the BBQ Soul.
• Committee told Sandy that she should contact Candy that this would be a great project for her Committee.
• Candy was contacted and very excited about it, and will introduce it to her committee at their next meeting
• Have the articles include pictures
and they could run continuously on screen at Banquet
• Candy will report on this next month.
• Mike Peters suggested that we should begin working on the RFP’s for 2017 & 2018 Banquet
I move to accept this report.
Mike Richter: The Membership Committee met telephonically June 17th. Several topics were discussed focusing on the recruitment and retention of members. The committee is working with the Marketing Committee on a recruitment initiative. The next meeting will be July 15th at 8 Eastern.
Below are the June membership numbers for the minutes.
Number of Total Members= 20,537
Number of New Members= 504
Number of Renewed Members= 1484
Number of Non-renewals= 732
Number of members who signed up via the website= 304 (29 were families)
Number of New Members from Judging classes= 144
Number of Lifetime Members = 770
Number of International Members = 829
Number of Countries represented by KCBS Members = 29
Mike Richter: The Rules Committee met telephonically June 8th. Several items were discussed. Three motions were submitted to the Board for the July meeting (addition of Green Kale as an approved garnish, Rules for Tailgate Competitions and prohibiting organizers from competing in competitions they organize). The next meeting July 13th at 8 pm Eastern.
Motion is submitted to accept the attached document as the rules for tailgate competitions. If approved, in lieu of waiting on the next competition year, these rules would become effective immediately. See rules at end of agenda. 2ND CAPSTACK. PASSED.
The motion to add green Kale as an approved garnish beginning with the 2016 competition year is submitted is hereby submitted. The following modification to the Rule 12 is suggested if green Kale is approved by the Board.
Proposed wording to add Kale to rule 12:
...leaves of fresh green lettuce, leaves of fresh green Kale, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro.
Additionally, under prohibited garnish:
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ....(omit Kale)
2ND HAYS. DISCUSSION REGARDING DIFFERENT TYPES OF KALE. POTENTIAL OF GETTING MIXED GREENS IN WITH THE KALE. ROLL CALL VOTE: AYE: POLSON, HAYS, RICHTER, FULTON, LOHMAN. NAYS: BIGLER, COLLIER, WEAVER, CAPSTACK. MOTION PASSED.
Several inquiries have been submitted to the BOD regarding organizers competing in the competitions they organize. Although it makes sense that this should not be allowed. A rule could not be located. Therefore the following motion is submitted to the Board for the next meeting.
No person or spouse, whether listed as, or acting as, a contest organizer shall compete either as an individual, or as a team, they are associated with at that contest. To keep it simple, neither an organizer or their spouse may compete as a head cook or as a team member in his/her own contest. Additionally, withdrawing from the capacity prior to the competition does not remove this restriction.
2ND FULTON. DISCUSSION REGARDING EXPANSION TO ANY ORGANIZER’S FAMILY MEMBERS. DETERMINED THAT SCOPE IS TOO WIDE. MOTION PASSED.
Sandy Fulton: Sandy Fulton, Chair and Dennis Polson, Co-Chair.
Sandy had asked Dennis to review with her the procedures she needed to follow as chair of the nominating committee. Dennis has sent Sandy the procedures and reviewed some of the information that I would need to chair this committee.
There are four seats on the Board that will be open: Mike Peters, Candy Weaver, Wayne Lohman and Kim Collier. All but Candy Weaver may run again. Candy cannot run another term at this time.
Will ask Karrin to run the rules and regulations again in the August issue of the Bullsheet. More info will follow to be published in the Bullsheet after the August issue.
I ask the Board to accept this report.
Candy Weaver: Banquet Committee has requested assistance gathering barbecue stories. Communications will discuss at next meeting Tuesday, July 14th.
Can KCBS News be organized by year? There are news items all the way back to April 2007! Don't delete anything, just put a link to 2007, 2008, 2009, etc. at the top or bottom of current year's news.
Bullsheet on KCBS.US
Can the Bullsheet have a direct link on the home page? We added a KCBS News item listing the direct links to the interactive Bullsheet issues. As items are added this will drift lower on the news listings. A navigation tab to Bullsheet, or an "advertisement" type link would keep it prominent.
We've gotten notice that our interactive provider will post video as a free addition to the Bullsheet.
What do you think of a KCBS event photo album that corresponds with a particular month? Added value to the interactive Bullsheet!
There was a brief Communications Committee meeting on June 16th. Ralph has been added to the Hightail list to be a Bullsheet proofer. The August issue will be a fast turn-around with only a couple of days to proof before submission to the printer. Karrin needs Que Tips (used to fill small open spaces). We need Ask KCBS questions/answers and always barbeque information articles.
We discussed eblasts and the need to have the capability of producing member communications in the KCBS office.
8:50 MARK SIMMONS JOINS MEETING.
Strategic Planning Committee
Bill Capstack: Our committee members are Bill Capstack (Chairman), Paul Kirk, Mark Simmons, Dennis Polson, Bruce Bubacz, Joe Otto, Mike Peters (President) and Carolyn Wells (Executive Director)
Our Committee met on June 15th and July 6th.
1. Permanent Home for KCBS:
We have completed our search of available properties and are in the process of obtaining the initial design and cost estimates of a proposed location. We plan to have detailed recommendations to the board in August for approval.
2. Finalize the job requirements and transition agreement for the Executive Director: A draft transition agreement has been prepared. We will discuss the agreement at our next meeting and send our recommendations to Axcet and our attorneys for review and recommendations. We plan to have the agreement ready for board approval in August.
3. Develop ancillary category standards: The previously approved ancillary categories and guidelines need to be advertised and published. We’ve asked for assistance from the Marketing, Communications and Technology Committees for their advice and support. The Marketing Committee will address the issue at their next meeting.
4. Explore additional ways to expand participation at events:
The planning for the first collegiate-level (Competitor’s Series) competition at UMKC is progressing well. The proposed KCBS Tailgate Rules are on the agenda for board approval.
5. KCBS History:
Data is being collected on a continuing basis.
We ask the board to accept our report.
Philanthropy Committee Report
Dave Compton: We have been evaluating all criteria for our programs and looking at how to make things easier.
WEAVER: INQUIRED OF REP COMMITTEE WHAT WAS STATUS OF ORGANIZER WHO TOLD JUDGES TO SCORE HIGH. DISCUSSION LEAD FOR COLLIER TO ADJUST THE JUDGES MEETING SCRIPT TO TAKE OUT REFERENCE TO COOKS SPENDING MONEY TO COMPETE.
Bill Capstack: Motion: "A CBJ and/or CTC that has not maintained his or her CBJ and/or CTC status because of not being a KCBS member for a lapsed period of eighteen (18) months or more must first reactivate their KCBS membership and pay to attend a CBJ and/or CTC class before receiving the status of a CBJ and/or CTC in good standing."
2ND POLSON. RICHTER: 18 MONTHS IS STILL TOO LONG. MOTION PASSED
Closed Session Agenda:
MMA: Marketing issue
Bill Capstack: Permanent home for KCBS.
BIGLER: MOVE TO GO TO CLOSED SESSION. 2ND LOHMAN. PASSED.
9:53 RESUME OPEN SESSION:
WEAVER MOVE TO ADJOURN. 2ND BIGLER. PASSED.