May 11, 2016 BOD Quick NotesMay 26, 2016
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Quick Notes
May 11, 2016
Member request to speak:
Mike Peters, Randy Bigler, Bill Capstack, Dennis Polson, , Mike Richter, Sandy Fulton, Mark Simmons, Dave Compton, Joe Otto, Arlie Bragg
Absent: Mike Hays, Carolyn Wells, Wayne Lohman
KCBS Office: Karrin Murphy, Kim Collier
MMA : Mike McCloud
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Minutes of Last Meeting
Sandy Fulton: I move to accept minutes of the April 13, 2016 meeting. Bill Capstack seconded. Motion passed.
Mark Simmons: Attached is the last month’s financial report. Please accept this report. Dave Compton seconded. Motion Passed.
Randy Bigler: No Report
Kim Collier: Automatic Approval
New Contests – In House Approval
New Contest Contest Date City and State
Reelin N Smokin (Backyard) 6/10 & 6/11, 2016 Huntsville, AL
Brunskwick BBQ Beach Bash 4/7 & 4/8, 2017 Brunswick, GA
Currituck Heritage Festival 9/16/2016 9/17/2016 Powells Point, NC
San Francisco BBQ Festival BBQ Comp 10/21&22, 2016 San Francisco, CA
*Humble Rodeo & BBQ 2/3 & 4, 2017 Humble, TX
All American BBQ Throwdown 8/5 & 6, 2016 Westland, MI
Assumption Fest Smokin Hot BBQ Contest 6/24 & 25, 2016 Assumption, IL
*All Fired UP 8/12 & 13, 2016 Berryton, KS
Triple B Festival 3/24 & 25, 2017 Crestview, FL
Brew N Q (INVITATIONAL) 5/26 & 27, 2017 Burton Upon Trent,
KY Fort Harrod Beef Festival Grill-off
(COMPETITOR'S SERIES) 6/10 & 11, 2016 Harrodsburg, KY
Smoke on the Shrine Lake & Bluegrass Festival 7/29 & 30, 2016 Summerville, SC
Burger Battle at the View 9/10/2016 Gulfport, MS
Existing Contests – In House Approval
CONTEST DATE CITY & STATE
Smokin at the Maples 8/5 & 6, 2016 Manorville, NY
Cornelia Apple Blossom Competition 4/21 & 22, 2017 Cornelia, GA
Chillin n Grillin BBQ Festival 4/7 & 8, 2017 Sands Springs, OK
Cookin on the Kaw 10/7 & 8, 2016 Desoto, KS
Smokin up the Campground 12/3 & 4, 2016 Calhoun, GA
Smoke on the Shores 3/10 & 11, 2017 Nashville, TN
Smokin in the Square 3/17 & 18, 2017 Pensacola, FL
Triple B Festival 3/24 & 25, 2017 Crestview, FL
Brew N Q (OPEN) 5/27 & 28, 2017 Burton Upon Trent,
Holy Smoke BBQ Competition 8/12 & 13, 2016 Liberty, MO
* Oak Grove BBQ and Lemonade 8/26 & 27, 2016 Lone Jack, MO
Boydton's Big Bad BBQ Battle 8/26 & 27, 2016 Boydton, VA
Southern Tier Brew & BBQ Festival 7/22 & 23, 2016 Owego, NY
Boo-B-Que 10/21 & 22, 2016 Rehobeth Beach, DE
* Shotgun Fred BBQ Showdown 2/16 – 2/18, 2017 Huntsville, TX
Eastern BBQ Contest 4/15 & 16, 2017 Ninove, BE
New Contests - Board Approval
Bass Pro in Foxborough MA, would like to have an event July 9&10 2016. There are no contests nearby. However they will be under the 90 day window. So will need the BOD approval for Master Series, otherwise they will need to do a competitor's series which requires only 60 day.
Sandy Fulton moved and Mike Peters seconded that the Bass Pro in Foxborough. Ma. Is approved for a Master Series. Motion passed.
Sanctioning Report: Sandy Fulton
MINUTES OF 4/12/16 MEETING
Member Present: Carolyn Wells, Randy Bigler, Mickey Williams, Michael Fay, Kim Collier, Karrin Murphy, Debbie Yopp, Sandy Fulton
In reviewing some of the goals that the Committee set for the Sanctioning Committee last month, we decided one of the ways to help organizers would be through Social Media. Karrin Murphy is setting up a Facebook Page that will be known as the KCBS Organizers. Kim will send out an email blast to all Organizers advising them of this Facebook page and letting them know how it can assist them with questions such as the following that were discussed last month. This site will also help to mentor new organizers. The more we can help the organizers the more the contests would grow. Organizers will now be able to reach out to each other for help.
- How to grow their contests
- Satisfying the needs of the cooks at a comp
- Working with your contest rep
- Securing judges
- Possibly scheduling regional organizers meetings
- Town Hall meetings – Regionally
- Securing and growing Backyard contest
- Kids Q Competitions
- Review Sanctioning events
- Meals Mission
Michael Fay again suggested the need for a Webinar. Possibly find a Drone Operator who could film the site overhead and then do interviews with competitors, sponsors, vendors, attendants, judges. This could be placed on U Tube. People would get the full understanding of what a BBQ event is like. Michael knows of a competitor that might do it. He will get back to the committee with the charge.
Debbie talked of working with your local community organizations to help your contest grow and to defray costs. Examples were the Art Community, securing grants that may be available, Chamber of Commerce, and local Boy Scouts to volunteer.
Possibly Organizers could hold a Mini Interview session, entitled Meet the Pitmasters. Have it with a VIP reception. Charge for entry. Also could have events where competitors cook whatever they want, charge $1-$2 a ticket. They would turn tickets in to organizers and first place could win as much as $1500 depending on the size of the event.
Karrin reported that Kids-Q has doubled this year. There were 44 contests. We really need to reach out to Organizers to have a Kids Q at their event. They are our future.
The Food Network is going to have Kids Q TV Show. More info to come on this.
Also discussed was having a Kids Q Cookbook published. Included with the kids winning recipe would be an illustration of the child. We would have to get parents signature on a waiver to publish this book.
Karrin wanted to make sure that word got out to Organizers about the Meals Mission, that they can collect the leftover meats and donate them. They must check with the Board of Health though in their area.
Still attempting to find a way to have a monthly Conference call for Organizers meeting. Perhaps after Facebook Page goes live.
Also suggested by Mike was a 5 minute U Tube on how to organize a BBQ Competition. Love this idea.
Organizers must provide Kim with a website once they are approved. Kim can direct questions from interested cooks, judges, etc. to that website for answers. She can’t have all the answers all the time.
Kim requested the sanctioning Committee for their thoughts on an event in Kentucky- Carroll Beef Festival who wants to have a competitive series event. The event has been running for several years and has been very successful. The teams want it to be a KCBS sanctioned event. The Committee unanimously agreed that they be permitted to be a competitive series event.
I can’t tell you how excited I am about this Committee. As an Organizer you are going to be so helpful with all your ideas. Sometimes Organizers feel so alone from KCBS but now you are offering them all the help they need to have a successful KCBS event. This will also help Kim when she sanctions an event to tell them what the Facebook Page is going to offer them.
With no further business, the meeting adjourned. I ask the Board to accept this report.
MMA Marketing Report:
KCBS/MMA Marketing Report
(Stats through 4/1/16 - 4/30/16)
- Total Page Views for April: 468,165
- Total Unique Users for April: 50,384
- Time per Visit: 4:25
- Advertising sold for April: $1,550
- Seal of Approval Page - completed
- Sponsor Page - completed
- Philanthropy Page Updates - completed
- International Contest Rep Submissions - resolved
- May/June Projects
- Forms CMS
- International Membership Form Corrections (Fee Differentiation)
- User Account Access
- Backyard TOY Tracking
- Backyard, Domestic, and Intl. TOY CMS Updates
- Media Room Creation/Updates
- Various Page Info Updates
250KCBS Meals Mission
- Current Total to Date – 265,534 meals (4/18/14 - 5/6/16)
- 110 Contests Signed Up to Date
○ 91 (4/18/14 - 5/6/16)
○ 19 (5/13/16-10/16/16)
- MMA Preparing Press Release
- First regional of 2016 completed (Vegas)
○ Vegas was a huge success
○ Sam's video crew was awesome (6 videos out and live stream of awards - first time ever)
- 11 events now complete
- Next events are Bowling Green, KY and Southaven, MS
- New digital promotions at 1st Regional netted (15,000 views)
Great American Cookout Tour
- 2016 Schedule: waiting on American Royal dates to finalize calendar
- Tour kicked off at Rock’n Ribs Festival in Springfield, MO on 4/22/16
- Nationally recorded radio interviews in the works
- Celebrity BBQ Bash occurred 4/16/16
- Continual PR/Social Media Promotion
- Social Media, using KCBS, and GAC Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
- Twitter Followers: 11,210 (+256)
- Twitter Impressions: 43,494
- Facebook Likes: 41,772 (+1,105)
- Facebook Reach: 403,558 (paid reach boosted by Sam’s Club sponsored post buys)
- Total Audience: 52,982
- Total Impressions: 447,052
○ Twitter Followers: 6,088 (+75)
○ Twitter Impressions: 6,283
○ Facebook Likes: 24,237
○ Facebook Reach: 15,095
○ Total Audience: 30,325
○ Total Impressions: 21,378
- Carolyn participating in a Wal-Mart Girls that Grill event, Bentonville, AR May 6
- Mike meeting HPBA leadership at Naptown event May 7
- Assessing new rate hike for KCBS corporate web banners
- Consulting with Membership Committee on incentive plan for renewals
- MMA to revamp and update Instagram account
Marketing Report: Mike Hayes
The Marketing Committee met on May 3rd. We have finalized a deal for another member benefit with a discounted rate with a national rental car company, thanks to the efforts of Randall Bowman. We are in the process of getting artwork from them so that they can be added to the member benefits section of the website and we will follow that up with an eblast to the membership to let them know that this discount is available.
We are also close to securing a member discount with another hotel chain and have started exploring an opportunity to provide discounts to our members with a nationwide insurance company.
Our next meeting is scheduled for June 7th.
I ask the Board to accept this report.
International: Wayne Lohman
CBJ Committee Report: Dennis Polson
Minutes for CBJ Meeting
April 22, 2016
7:00 pm Central Time
Committee members attending
Dennis Polson-CBJ Chair
Bill and Debby Gage
Bunny and Rich Tuttle
Rep Advisory 5.07
Dennis reported that the BOD has officially banned fanning out the judges’ score cards on the table in front to the judges. This will be included in the next update of the Rep Advisory.
Membership Committee request
Mike Peters asked Dennis to ask about adding a line on the KCBS Representative Critique to show how many cooks participating at the contest were KCBS members and how many were not. Carolyn Wells believed as did others that this was a matter to be taken up with the Rep Committee. Dennis said he would do so.
Table Captains’ Tracking Sheets
Kelly McIntosh revealed the new Table Captains’ Tracking Sheets. He along with Nancy and Don Muller designed the new sheet for use immediately upon release from Dennis or the office. Kelly will make two minor adjustments that were suggested by the committee and it will be ready for use.
Should someone wanting to be a Certified Table Captain be required to take a CBJ CLASS?
It was decided by the committee that this is a non-issue and no further discussion would happen.
Update on Continuing Educations
Marge Plummer reported that things were moving right along with the questions. Her team was assigned certain topic areas and was to form 2 multiple choice questions and 2 true and false questions for each topic. She will report back next month, on the progress. It is her goal to have these questions summited to the committee for approval by end of summer or before.
Rich and Bunny Tuttle discussed the feedback they received from survey held at KCBS annual convention in January. It was the consensus of the cooks to remove the suggestions printed on the cards. For example, there is no rule on uniformity of the meat, so why is that one of the boxes that could be checked? It was also suggested that they be printed on the same thickness of paper, but in a different color. After much discussion, Dennis asked if Rich and Bunny would design a new comment card. Kelly McIntosh volunteered to help them. They will bring the new form back for approval of the committee. We will continue to use the current cards until the supply is depleted. We currently have two and a half cases at the office-roughly over 450 packs of cards.
Dennis reported that the technology committee is close to getting it up and running. It will be used by some contests to iron out any bugs before being released for use by the entire membership.
Team members judging
There was a discussion on whether a team member or family member may judge at a contest where the team they are affiliated is cooking. We do at this time have a rule in place which forbids a team member from judging. We do not have one for family members that are not team members, which spawned a whole new set of questions. After further discussion it was decided to turn this issue over to the rules committee to come up with a definition of who is a team member. Dennis said he would take this to that committee and we would wait for their answer. As it stands now, it will be left up to the rep’s discretion to make the call as to what the family member is permitted to do in the judging area, but they may not change any numbers.
Bone in Pork Entry
This advisory was inadvertently omitted from the new Rep Advisory. It states:
Question: Is a bone allowed in a Pork entry?
Opinion: Yes, as long as the bone has not been altered in anyway, and is of the type that is found in the cut of meat cooked for the pork entry.
Dennis will send a reminder out to all the Reps.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:53 central time.
Respectfully submitted by,
Carol D. Bigler
Rep Committee: Dennis Polson
Rep Committee Meeting May 2016
May 4, 2016 at 7:00 pm CDT
Members Present: Dennis Polson, Chair; Mike Hays, Vice Chair; Ralph Weller, Mike Eberle, Linda Polson, Ralph Williams, Kathy Brazier, Steve Alvarez, Randy Bigler, KCBS President; Carolyn Wells, KCBS Executive Director; and Kim Collier, Office Staff.
Dennis called the meeting to order. He brought up a question about whether a Rep could/should also be the Organizer or Judge Coordinator of a Contest he/she is Repping. Both issues were discussed separately. It was the unanimous opinion of the Committee that a Rep could be on a contest committee but step down when he/she is assigned as Rep but a Rep cannot be the Organizer of a contest they are Repping. It was also the unanimous opinion of the Committee that a Rep cannot be listed as Judge Coordinator of a contest he/she is Repping. A Rep may, and is expected to, work closely with Organizers/Judge Coordinators to make sure they understand the Judging needs, selection process, etc. and may be involved in Judge seating assignments, either before or at a contest.
I move to make this a Rep Advisory.
Dennis reported that a question has been raised about encouraging the Organizers to have a woman’s and/or handicap accessible Port-a-Potty at a contest. Following discussion, it was decided to add a line to the Organizer Checklist to encourage Organizers to do so and to instruct Reps to encourage the practice in their discussions with Organizers.
I move to add a woman’s and/or handicap accessible Port-a-Potty to the Organizers Checklist.
Dennis reported that the Membership Committee would like to add a line to the “KCBS Representative Critique” indicating the number of confirmed KCBS cooks and non KCBS cooks at each contest. Following discussion, it was decided to revise the Critique to eliminate #9 – “Were all the supplies on hand?” and # 17 – “Would you officiate this contest again?” and to correct numbering & reword # 18. The Rep Chair will be responsible for compiling information from the Critiques and forwarding it to the Membership Committee. Dennis will coordinate with the office regarding these changes.
I move we remove form the “KCBS Representative Critique” #9, #17 and correct numbering and reword #18.” Add the question “How many KCBS Cooks ______ How many non KCBS Cooks ______?” Seconded by Mike Peters. Motion carried.
Mike Hays reported that there is still minor tweaking being done to the Judges Score program but he anticipates that a motion will be made at the next BOD meeting. Dennis mentioned that those Judges having a family membership must have their own sign-ins to access the Judge Score program.
Ralph Williams reported that he has not received corrections/changes for the Rep manual but will send a reminder. He will also accept input for the Rep Advisory Manual.
Dennis reported that the BOD approved use of old 180 pins for Backyard and Kid’s Que contests and that information was sent to all Reps.
Dennis reported that the CBJ Committee has designed a new Table Captain Tracking sheet which was just sent to all Reps.
Kathy brought up a question about pork butt/shoulder being trimmed following inspection. Mike Hays said that issue had been discussed by the BOD when the pork rule changed from 5 lbs. to 4 lbs. and he will investigate the past BOD minutes, etc. and report at the next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:01 pm. Next meeting will be June 1, 2016 at 7:00 pm CDT.
Linda Polson, Recording Secretary
KCBS Score Committee/Technology Committee: Joe Otto
The Tech Committee met on May 3, 2016. Topics discussed were:
1. Tech Committee received the link to judge scores for review. The link allowed each committee member to log on KCBS website and access our individual scores from past contests. The link was then sent to all BOD members for review. Request MMA to arrange the results by KCBS category to make it easier for the judge to review their results. For example: How are my chicken scores? Do I appear to be high or low in my scoring?
2. Forms were sent to MMA requesting updates to facilitate Backyard and International TOY. Waiting for scope of work, scheduling, and costs.
3. Discussed Communication Committee request for members access to update personal information. Sent request to MMA with concerns about website integrity, protection of member information, and ease of use.
4. Discussion of creating a KCBS company page in LinkedIn. Discussion included potential spam and protection from unwanted spam. Office is looking into this matter at this time.
I plan to make the following motion:
KCBS implement the judges score program provided the individual judge’s information is available only to that judge for feedback and training purposes. Bill Capstack seconded. Motion passed.
Arlie would like to test this using a whole average of the judges at one of his contests before using it for the whole system.
I ask the Board accept this report.
Banquet Committee: Sandy Fulton
2017 BANQUET COMMITTEE MEETING
APRIL 19, 2016
MEMBERS PRESENT: Carolyn Wells, Randy Bigler, Sandy Fulton, Raye Keyes, Barbara Richter, Sybilla Hawkins, Karen Murphy, Randall Bowman, Julie and Rusty Cook
MEMBER ABSENT: Darrell Meade
Sandy thanked Randall and Julie and Rusty Cook for agreeing to be on the Banquet committee.
Raye and Barbara will schedule the menu tasting sometime in the early fall and advise the Committee of date and findings.
AV was again discussed at this meeting. We reviewed with the new members the exurbanite cost to KCBS for the AV at this year’s Banquet. Randall said if the hotel permits he knows of someone who could do it for us, Jeremy Myers. Raye will contact the hotel to see if we can bring in our own AV technician and let Randall know. We could also book Jeremy and his band for the Friday night party.
The Friday night party was again discussed. We told the new members that we wanted to have a People’s Choice Contest with voting and Prize money. Craft beer and music. Possibly a Comedy Tour to perform in between the band. Raye will contact hotel to find out the rules for outside alcohol to be on premises, such as a craft beer. Also to find out if the hotel will allow the food to be prepare and consumed on their premises. Raye will notify Randal regarding the alcohol and he will then try to work something out between the craft Beer Company and the hotel.
Sponsorships were discussed. Raye will work with MMA.
Randall said he thought having exhibitors this year would be an excellent idea. He feels that company’s such as Fox Brothers or Wiliamson Brothers would be willing to come.
Working on plans for Lifetime Members.
Randall and Julie will work on entertainment.
Randy has possibly a sponsor for Friday night, will confirm with committee by next month’s meeting.
Carolyn will be meeting Peyton Manning next month and approach him about being our guest speaker. Possibly have him as a speaker at a luncheon on Saturday. Raye will inquire if hotel has room large enough for a luncheon... If not Randall will try to locate a site off premise. If not Peyton will want a speaker who is motivational, spiritual etc., Randall will report back next month on some possibilities.
Carolyn informed committee that Charlie Barrineau will be a guest speaker on Saturday at a break out session. It was suggested that we also ask Julie Wilkie to join him. Important to notify KCBS Organizers of this breakout session. Kim will send out an email blast to the Organizers.
We do have exhibit space available. Raye will be working on this and Randall will get her some contacts. Agreed that the cost should be $500.
Randall will work with Raye on the Silent Auction. Some suggestions for entries were smokers, cooking classes, grill grates, front page article in BBQ News.
Scott Smith from Southern Q will provide the goody bags. Need to make sure the KCBS logo is on them. Will need at least 350. Randall, Julie and Rusty will work on items to be in the bags.
I ask that the Board accept my report.
Membership Report: Mike Peters
Membership Committee Report May 2016
Membership April 2016
Active Members 21023
New Members 467
New from CBJ Class 192
Renewed Members 1267
Non Renewed 615
New from Website 233
Total Lifetime Members 956
International Members 1106
Countries Represented 27
Membership Committee met on Wednesday April 20.
- Membership Referral Program - Reps. Dennis P is changing the Rep Critique form to track member and non-member teams. He will also send out a Rep email of the new referral program - $5 per new member added to Rep compensation after the contest. Sammye - Input on best tracking method. I would guess that contest paperwork gets mailed to Kim. She could pass on the numbers and any new membership applications to you with documentation going to Sybilla for payment.
- Membership Referral Program - Members. Advance Online is capable to process gift certificates for the KCBS gear site. We need to come up with a plan to promote the referral program to membership. **We can use the Bullsheet for promotions along with quarterly e-blasts.
- Marketing is reaching out to companies to offer member benefits - Hertz and additional hotel chains.
- BBQ Ambassador program - Donna & Jennifer. Report on Hammond trial/test. **Donna - we need to have a plan for this program. Purpose, Criteria, Best Contests, good promoter/organizer, large attendance. CBJ book signatures for “ambassador” position at contests. Have the contest reps place “ambassadors” at contests as they tend to have an idea of who would be good in that position. Carolyn - there was an ambassador program in the past which did not have the intended results. Talking points along with Q & A should provide guidelines for ambassadors.
- Membership Application rework. ** Could we offer multiple year memberships with some sort of promotion attached? Make sure that Lifetime membership is promoted. Can we offer an auto renewal? Check with Joe at MMA. Review past communication concerning this and address at the next membership meeting.
- Proactive membership drive for discussion. ** KCBS can query for expired/deactivated members. Suggested to run a small trial offering a promotion for renewal. Currently we have 32,000 inactive former members. With Query, track incorrect emails returned, new members gained and survey non-renewals. Suggested to go back to 2014 and include members expired from 1/14 to 12/14. Suggested to use Rolling Ridges Silver Stainless Tumbler - Item #6-65-B40644 which retails for $10.58 as the promotional item. Our cost would around $13 including shipping and it would promote KCBS. Advance Online might have suggestions on how best to implement this program.
Items for discussion - May 11 BOD meeting
1. MMA currently charges a fee for companies promoting on the KCBS website under Member Login. I have asked for an idea of revenue generated annually. Should we be charging for these benefits for our members?
2. Offering 1, 3, 5 and Lifetime memberships.
Mike Peters moved and Mike Richter seconded that we have a proactive membership drive to recoup members, not spending more than $15.00 per acquisition cost. Mike Richter seconded. Motion passed.:
Rules Committee: Mike Richter
The Rules Committee met April 11th. The committee continued work on the proposal to allow organizers to provide the teams their competition meat and to require the meat to be used for the team's entry. The committee will continue to work on the proposal during the May meeting. Upon completion of the ad hoc committee working on the definition of an invitational competition, the rules committee will review and provide input to the Board. Then committee also reviewed pictures of a recent disqualification and provided feedback. The next meeting is May 9th.
Nominating Committee: Arlie Bragg
No report this month. I do have several questions I would like to ask on foreign matter in the turn in boxes. If it is allowed I would like to give my thoughts on this! Randy asked Arlie to speak with Mike Richter, Chair of the Rules Committee on this matter.
Communications Committee: Mark Simmons
The Communications Committee met via conference call on April 27, 2016. Attending the meeting were Mark Simmons (Chair), Bill Capstack (Vice-Chair), Carolyn Wells (Executive DIrector), Randy Bigler (President),
Candy Weaver, Karrin Murphy (KCBS Office), and we welcome our new members Carol Bigler, Debby Gage and Ralph Williams.
Our discussion centered around various components of the Bullsheet and doing our best to enhance its value and content for our members. We are proposing an international page and Debby Gage planned to do some work on that for our international initiative, contests and members.
We would like to see the e-blasts posted on the website so those who do not receive them via email have access to them and are able to read them.
We are encouraging all of the communications committee (and Board Members) to read the digital version this month to evaluate how user friendly the present concept is and if necessary, are there any suggestions on how we can make it more user friendly.
The committee was unable to establish a date for May's meeting that works for the members due to numerous schedule conflicts. As a committee, we will still do our editorial work and proof reading of the Bullsheet in May for the June edition.
We would like to especially give a nod of appreciation to Karrin Murphy for her dedication and efforts to the publishing of the Bullsheet. Karrin has done a great job with our publication we want her to know that all of the members appreciate her work. Of course, she is always eager to accept new content, reports on contests, human interest stories, pictures and anything BBQ related. Please send them in by the 15th of each month for her review by the deadline each month.
Mark R. Simmons
Strategic Planning Committee: Bill Capstack
STRATEGIC PLANNING COMMITTEE REPORT
Our committee members are Bill Capstack (Chairman), Joe Otto (Co-Chair), Bruce Bubacz, Sybilla Hawkins, Paul Kirk, Skip Sayles, Mark Simmons, Jon Williams, Randy Bigler (President), and Carolyn Wells (Executive Director).
Our future meeting schedule: 1st and 3rd Mondays (unless there is a holiday) 7-8 P.M. (CST) May 16; June 6, 20; July 18; August 1, 15; September 19; October 3, 17; November 7, 21; December 5, 19;and January 2017 2, 16.
We met on April 18th and May 2nd.
Permanent Home for KCBS:
- Centric Projects has been selected to be the general contractor.
- The permits have been approved.
- Construction will begin on May 16, 2016. Completion is scheduled by the first week in November.
- Tenants are being actively pursued.
- The Executive Director is looking into ways to publicize the building.
Develop and Finalize the Executive Director Transition Agreement, Duties, Responsibilities and Competencies:
- The final part of the package is being developed.
Finalize Procedures and Rules for the Collegiate Division:
- We discussed the legal review with our attorney and everyone is on board to make this initiative work well.
- The final documents are being prepared.
Explore Additional Ways to Expand the KCBS Brand and Increase Participation at Events:
- We are developing ancillary event guidelines for Salt Water Crayfish (Spiny Lobster), Fresh Water Crayfish, Lobster, Catfish and Salmon.
- We are looking at ways to expand the KCBS brand by adding grilling contests. It is our belief that grilling and collegiate events should be placed under the Competitor Series events.
We ask the board to accept this report.
Philanthropy Committee Report: Dave Compton
This year we ended up with 72 applications for KCBS Scholarships. Our Committee divided the list into two groups and each group was reviewed by half of the committee members. On April 28th we had our conference call meeting and decided on the funding that we recommend for each student for this year and that information was just sent out to the Board in a previous e-mail.
We've received eight applications for Charitable Grants and we will have our recommendations for those at the June meeting.
FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION: a discussion on funding for KCBS Scholarships this year with a motion to follow when we return to Open Session. That motion will read: "I move to fund and award the KCBS Scholarships as discussed in Executive Session".
I ask that you accept this report.
Bill Capstack moved and Mark Simmons seconded that we go into closed session. Motion carried.
Closed Session Agenda:
Dave Compton: KCBS Scholarships
Dave Compton moved and Sandy Fulton seconded that we go into Open Session. Motion carried.
After Closed Session: Dave Compton moved and Arlie Bragg seconded that the BOD fund the scholarships discussed during Closed Session. Motion carried.
Mike Richter moved and Bill Capstack seconded that the meeting be adjourned.