- Why do you want to be a member of the KCBS Board of Directors?
I’ve been a KCBS member for more than twenty years, I’ve seen KCBS in lean years and in a boom times, I would like to help do my part to get KCBS back to boom era and create plans and programs for that to continue.
I feel my previous experience on both the tech and rep committee’s as well as being on the organizing committee for a contest I feel I know and see first hand the challenges of all members and will be a strong advocate for all of our membership.
- Identify the major issues ( Cook, Judge, Organizer, Rep or Backyard Cook) in which you are involved.
KCBS’ current major issue is the COVID pandemic. The uncertainty of public events and the related economic impact may take years to resolve, we as an organization need to be situated in a position to both assist and take advantage. We have a good base, but I feel we need to come together as a society to help promote BBQ and KCBS and grow as an organization.
- Identify your major short-term goal and the major long-term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.
One of the first short-term goals would be to find and secure sponsorship for the team of the year as well as the individual categories. We as an organization have focused on food and food service-related areas, we need to think outside of these traditional and expand into other areas.
Long term we as an organization need develop and foster programs and initiatives that attract and retain a younger membership. The single meat is an excellent example of this, we need to build and expand upon this!
- The KCBS Board of Directors is a working board that spends 10-20 hours and possibly more per month in furthering the mission of KCBS depending on your role as a member of the board. If elected, please explain “ Your level of Commitment, Time and Energy “ in your role as a director.
I’ve been with my current employer for over twenty-five years and have flexible work schedule, this will provide me the opportunity to spend as much time as needed to help the continued growth of KCBS.
- List how you have participated in KCBS and for how long?
I started as an uncertified judge when the first contest in Ohio was sanctioned, I then became a CBJ and was quickly asked to become a rep as contests in the region were expanding.
Between being a judge and rep, I’ve traveled from coast to coast and border to border for the passion I call BBQ and can’t wait until I can do it again the next time!
- What skills do you possess that might help the KCBS Board of Directors in its mission, ie, Accounting, Legal, Marketing, etc.? How do you see using these skills as a KCBS Board of Director member?
My twenty-five-year career as afforded me many opportunities to learn, develop and use many skills. I feel I could assist in many numerous areas, with tech and financial being the top.