Turkey Smoke Series
To further inspire pitmasters about the versatility of turkey on the smoker, the National Turkey Federation is continuing their partnership with the Kansas City Barbeque Society for the Turkey Smoke Series. The Turkey Smoke Series will incorporate a turkey category into select KCBS-sanctioned contests across the U.S. during the 2021 barbeque season. Thousands of dollars in extra prize money and bragging rights will be up for grabs! Winning recipes will also be featured across KCBS and the National Turkey Federation websites and social channels.
Turkey Smoke Contests
- 3/19-20/2021 Firelake BBQ Cook Off Shawnee, OK
- 4/9-10/2021 Smoke in the Spring Osage City, KS
- 4/23-24/2021 Marietta River City BBQ Marietta, OH
- 5/7-8/2021 Minnesota in May Cambridge, MN
- 6/4-5/2021 Original SD BBQ Championships Huron, SD
- 6/18-19/2021 Almost Heaven BBQ Bash Roanoke, WV
- 7/16-17/2021 KTD Smokin Gobbler Cook Off Worthington, MN
- 7/30-31/2021 Smoke in the Grove Spring Grove, PA
- 8/13-14/2021 GOBS Que Arlington, NE
- 8/20-21/2021 Western Legends BBQ Contest Kanab, UT
- 8/20-21/2021 BBQ & Fly-in on the River Excelsior Springs, MO
- 9/17-18/2021 American Royal World Series of Barbecue Kansas City, KS
- 9/24-25/2021 Ottumwa Smoketoberfest Ottumwa, IA
- 10/1-2/2021 All American Smokers Competition Bonifay, FL
- 10/8-9/2021 Barbecue & Blues on the Levee Helena, AR
- 10/15-16/2021 Big Buffalo Crossing BBQ Cook Off Munfordville, KY
- 10/16-17/2021 Red White & Q Jackson, NJ
Turkey Smoke Rules – 2021
- Turkey must be the primary protein and primary component of the entry. Other proteins may be used in a supporting role (e.g., bacon-wrapped or sausage-stuffed). Sliced, pulled, or chopped turkey is acceptable in an entry; ground turkey is NOT an acceptable entry. Turkey may be presented with or without skin.
- Each contestant will be provided complimentary turkey product, typically a boneless skin-on breast, with the exact cut to be determined with the Organizer prior to the contest. Contestants are encouraged to use the product provided, but are welcome to utilize their own turkey product, provided it is not ground turkey. All contestant-provided proteins are subject to meat inspection.
- All KCBS Master Series Rules and Regulations shall apply with the following exceptions:
- A food thermometer shall be used to ensure a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 F has been reached to destroy bacteria and prevent food borne illness.
- Turkey must be the primary protein and component of the entry. Accompanying or complementary edible ingredients ARE allowed (e.g., mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, relish, fruits, vegetables, cheese, bread, etc.).
- If used, these complementary ingredients shall be part of the individual serving portions and cannot be used as a container garnish
- KCBS garnish rule 12 applies. Garnish is optional. If used, once determined to be legal, garnish plays no further role in the appearance score. When used, garnish is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley, curly green kale and/or cilantro.
4. Please refer to KCBS rule 6 for heating sources. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets, or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding the entry.
Note: All 2021 approved KCBS Turkey Smoke contests count toward the 2021 KCBS Turkey Smoke Team of the Year points chase. Contestants must be KCBS members in good standing to receive points for the Turkey Smoke Team of the Year chase.
Please contact the contest’s KCBS Rep with any questions.