Turkey Smoke Series
To further inspire pitmasters about the versatility of turkey on the smoker, the National Turkey Federation is continuing their partnership with the Kansas City Barbeque Society for the Turkey Smoke Series. The Turkey Smoke Series will incorporate a turkey category into select KCBS-sanctioned contests across the U.S. during the 2022 barbeque season. Thousands of dollars in extra prize money and bragging rights will be up for grabs! Winning recipes will also be featured across KCBS and the National Turkey Federation websites and social channels.
2022 Turkey Smoke Contests
- 1/22-23/2022 The Golden State Battle IV Santa Barbara, CA
- 3/25-27/2022 BBQ Gives Back Urbanna, VA
- 4/8-9/2022 Smoke in the Spring Osage City, KS
- 4/22-23/2022 Smoke on the Water BBQ Festival Florence, AL
- 4/29-5/1/2022 Smoke on the Water Liberty, IN
- 5/13-14/2022 Minnesota in May Cambridge, MN
- 6/3-4/2022 Original SD BBQ Championships Huron, SD
- 6/17-18/2022 Hoosier BBQ Classic Franklin, IN
- 6/17-18/2022 Almost Heaven BBQ Bash Roanoke, WV
- 6/24-25/2022 Heritage Days BBQ Showdown Belvidere, IL
- 6/25-26/2022 Giant National Capital Barbecue Battle Washington, DC
- 7/15-16/2022 Central Illinois BBQ Throwdown Eureka, IL
- 7/15-16/2022 KTD Smokin Gobbler Cook Off Worthington, MN
- 7/29-30/2022 6th Annual Eburg BBQ Contest Emmetsburg, IA
- 7/29-30/2022 Smoke in the Grove Spring Grove, PA
- 8/5-6/2022 All American BBQ Throwdown Westland, MI
- 8/19-20/2022 Smoke on the Midway Fairbury, IL
- 8/19-20/2022 BBQ & Fly-in on the River Excelsior Springs, MO
- 9/9-10/2022 Western Legends BBQ Contest Kanab, UT
- 9/23-24/2022 Pigmaster's BBQ Challenge Connelly Springs, NC
- 9/29-10/2/2022 American Royal World Series of Barbecue Kansas City, KS
- 9/30-10/1/2022 Squealin' on the Square Laurens, SC
- 10/14-15/2022 Best of the Midwest BBQ Union Grove, WI
- 10/21-22/2022 Saracen Casino Smoke on the Water Pine Bluff, AR
- 10/28-29/2022 Shelby BBQ Extravaganza Shelby, NC
- 11/11-12/2022 KCBS World Invitational Gadsden, AL
*Turkey Smoke Series events subject to change based on any changes to the main contest.
Turkey Smoke Rules – 2022
- Turkey must be the primary protein and primary component of the entry. Other proteins may be used in a supporting role (e.g., bacon-wrapped or sausage-stuffed). Sliced, pulled, or chopped turkey is acceptable in an entry; ground turkey is NOT an acceptable entry. Turkey may be presented with or without skin.
- Each contestant will be provided complimentary turkey product, typically a boneless skin-on breast, with the exact cut to be determined with the Organizer prior to the contest. Contestants are encouraged to use the product provided, but are welcome to utilize their own turkey product, provided it is not ground turkey. All contestant-provided proteins are subject to meat inspection.
- Toothpicks, skewers of any kind, and other foreign materials are prohibited in the container.
- All KCBS Master Series Rules and Regulations shall apply with the following exceptions:
- A food thermometer shall be used to ensure a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 F has been reached to destroy bacteria and prevent food borne illness.
- Turkey must be the primary protein and component of the entry. Accompanying or complementary edible ingredients ARE allowed (e.g., mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, relish, fruits, vegetables, cheese, bread, etc.).
- If used, these complementary ingredients shall be part of the individual serving portions and cannot be used as a container garnish.
- KCBS garnish rule 13 applies. Garnish is optional. If used, once determined to be legal, garnish plays no further role in the appearance score. When used, garnish is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley, curly green kale and/or cilantro.
4. Please refer to KCBS rule 6 for heating sources. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets, or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding the entry.
Please contact the contest’s KCBS Rep with any questions.
Turkey Smoke Team of the Year
In addition to the Turkey Smoke Series, KCBS and NTF are pleased to announce the second annual Turkey Smoke Team of the Year program; allowing Turkey Smoke competitors to earn points for each of the Turkey Smoke Series events at KCBS-sanctioned contests in which they compete. All 2022 approved KCBS Turkey Smoke Series contests count toward the 2022 KCBS Turkey Smoke Team of the Year points chase. Contestants must be KCBS members in good standing to receive points for the Turkey Smoke Team of the Year chase. Turkey Smoke Series will be a teams top five highest scores.
Click HERE for the current Turkey Smoke Team of the Year Standings